What's new

Just ordered a Velodyne CHT-12, should I also buy a splitter? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Also coming with the sub is a Liberty Z300 single connection cable. Now, I've read on the Velodyne site that I should use a spiltter to connect to both line inputs. Is this necessary? If I don't will I have a problem with the "Auto-On" function? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I had auto on-off problems with my NHT sub amp, and added a splitter to solve it.

Sub amps have a threshold voltage value that needs to be exceeded before it turns on automatically. There are 2 ways to get there reliably -

1. Increase the pre-out's level and adjust the sub amp' volume

2. Get a splitter, reduce the pre-out level.

Adding a splitter makes the amp 'see' +6db of input.

Don't forget to calibrate!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Colin: Thanks for the feedback! When you say increase the "pre-out" level, you are talking about the "LFE"(-10/+10)level, right? Do I need to be concerned about deterioration of the signal when using a splitter? Any splitter suggestions, preferable something I could pick up at Best Buy. I would like Monster Cable quality at a moderate price.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Splitter suggestions?.....Signal deterioration?......Anyone?..........Anyone?

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I'd say try the splitter trick only if you have problems with the auto on.

Else, I always like a single clean cable from point A to point B, and a splitter goes in the way of that.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Back before I built my own subs, I had a Paradigm ps-1200.. In the manual, it said using a Y splitter from the LFE output and both inputs into the sub saw a 3db or 6db gain (can't remember which one).

Craig

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I would go with a splitter. Velodyne recommends this for all the reasons above. I have tried it both ways and for the ct or cht 150 the splitter works best.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I had to go with the splitter because otherwise the "Auto-On" function would not work properly as previously suggested. Thanks for the feedback guys!

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I have a cht-15 works great without a splitter, but I know it seems more powerfull with a splitter (more head room at least). I changed stuff around and moved and now I can't find my splitter grrr, I don't want to buy one when I know I have a good one around here someplace :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
James I am ashamed to say that I tried one of those $3 ones and could not tell the diff. I do have a good AR splitter and it is being used at the receiver. I have more head room useing splitter to, with my ct-150.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks