What's new

Just ordered a New Sub :) (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

Well I have had a demo unit of an Adrie Dharman since last Wed. and after listening to my system with it for several days now....
I ordered one in black this morning from the Adire Web site. I have been told by Dan Wiggins that the black will delay shipping of the unit until near the end of the month, but Oak, which looks very good btw, just does not work in my room with my current equipment.
It is replacing a Velodyne 1250AX which listed for $999 and has been throughly outpreformed by the Dharman which is selling for $599 +Shipping.
I found that there were many aspects of this sub that were just better then the Velo it is replacing. Mainly that it is not as boomy and just seems to charge the whole room with bass energy.
On Phantom Menace during the Pod Race scene there was an LFE note in Silbulba's engine that the Velo just seemed to leave out but with the Dharman roared through the Room.
On Toy Story 2 you could feel the opening logo drop in your bones.
On Event Horizion it just eat up the horrendous amount of LFE that title dished out. The room shook the house ground but the sub stood fast. :)
So now I sit back eagerly awaiting the end of the month when my Sub is due to show up.
Ron Stimpson,
We are still going to try to set up a showdown between an SVS sub and the Dharman with as many unbiased observers as possible. I realize the Mike V of course would like to see his SVS Win and I would be happy to see my Dharman take the prize but we promise to have at least a few innocent bystanders make the call. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That 16-46/Samson combo is a tough standard to live up to for any sub, much less a $600 one, should be interesting. My guess (why not?
wink.gif
) would be that the 16-46 would have the better extension (16Hz tune vs. 22Hz) and sound somewhat "tighter" due to the shallower rolloff, a lower "Q". I think the Dharman might have an advantage in output above 20hz due to the alignment, and might be less subject to bottoming and have increased dynamic headroom due, in part, to the presence of the subsonic filter.
Who knows...I look forward to your impressions.

M

MaxY

Steve,
Actually I have found the Dharman to do a nice Job with Music. It is not boomy and is pretty tight and quick.
Jack
You are right it will be tough to match but interesting to test.
Oddly enough when setting it up in my room I was playing with a test tones disc and found that when I went from a 20hz signal to a 15.75hz signal the Dharman only dropped a few DB.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks