Just order a SVS CS-Ultra

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geo, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

I knew I was going to go SVS, I just wasn't sure how. After long deliberation I've finally decided the SVS route for me. CS-Ultra's "one at a time". I was going to go with the dual CS-Ultra package with amp + eq. But since I have several quality amps (2 - Citation 7.1s, an Odyssey Stratos, a McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe and a Parasound HCA-1000A and an Audio Control Bijou equalizer) I've decided to go the "Ultra one at a time" route. I plan to add up to four Ultras to my system one at a time. This should be an interesting way to listen and compare the effect of adding CS Ultras. For just under 1K per, this should quench my subwoofer upgrade bug for awhile.
    [​IMG]
    I'll probably end up trying all the above mentioned amps to power the Ultras.
    Which of the above amps do you guys think will work the best?
    Regards,
    geo

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Geo,

That sounds like a plan to me! Depending on your room you might well discover that it doesn't take 4 subs to "do it" for you. It'll be interesting to hear how your ramp up to bass nirvana goes.

The biggest, baddest amps are probably what you ought to try first, though the Ultras do well with lower power amps too. Shy away from anything less than 200wpc to start though.

Ron

3. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

4. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Ron thanks for the reply,

I'm thinking about starting with the Citation 7.1 in the bridged mode. It's rated at 400 x 2 @ 8 ohms bridged.............

Since the CS Ultras are rated @ 4 ohms, I'm wondering if the Citation might be to much for the Ultra. The Citation manual doesn't show power specs for 4 ohm loads but I read somewhere that it's around 700 watts and stable into 4 ohm loads.

What do you think???????????????????

geo

5. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Just wondering, does anyone listen to an SVS before buying one? I know there's nothing but raves on here, but I'd really like to hear one.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Paul,
    SVS owners correct me if I'm wrong but the only way someone can listen before buying is if they happen to live near someone else who owns one. Of course SVS does seem to have a nice return policy should you decide it's not the right sub for you.
    Dan Hine
    Also Paul, I just noticed you became a member exactly one year after I did. Just cool I think. [​IMG]

7. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

That is true, you would have to find someone in your area that owns an svs to hear it before you purchased one. No stores, but they do have an excellent return policy.

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Geo,

700 watts is enough to drive a CS-Ultra beyond its max excursion, but if you calibrate it realistically, then it doesn't matter if you have a 5kW amp hooked up, it'll be fine. That's sure to be enough to get the most out of the sub. A pair might well convince you that the raves have a basis in fact.

Paul,

As noted we are direct sales only. This is why we can deliver a sub that would cost far more if sold thru a store. Since the only place that matters when reviewing a sub is your own home, we feel a 45 day trial period, with only low UPS shipping cost at rist (no restocking fee with SVS) is the best way to try our subs.

Ron