Just one more time please........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Jul 10, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I'm sure this has been answered a billion times, please forgive me in advance....

If you have time warner cable (digital(yea right)), if you want to connect a STB hd receiver along with it how does it work?

How do you connect it throught the cable box?

Do you get the cable channels broadcast in HD, like HBO?

Again sorry to those of you who have answered this over and over again.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If TWC is handling things in Dayton like they are in New York City, then the answer to your question is: You can't.

A while back, the HD cable channels on TWC/NYC were unscrambled. You could route the cable signal via coax connection directly to your STB and tune in the HD channels. I never did it, but I know people who did.

Currently, and for some time now, TWC/NYC scrambles the HD channels. The only way you can decode them is through their digital cable box (they're using the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD). They're not charging extra for the HD service -- at least, not yet -- but there's a waiting list of 5-6 months to get one of the boxes.

The 3100HD makes the STB redundant. It outputs a component signal directly to your HDTV.

M.

3. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

TWC will not have any high def until at least 2003, that is what AT&T is telling people too. I wouldn't hold my breath, if you really want high def it is time for a sat dish or you can get over the air with an antenna if you can get reception in your area (of course you need the STB that you'd plug in separately from your cable box).

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

So with the regular OTA STB you only get local HD broadcast, not cable, correct?

And for premium channel HD you must have a satelite, right?

I know this is off subject but tivo works with all of them correct?
    You just pay the subcription or lifetime, right?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    I have TWC in Minneapolis. We've got high definition CBS, 2 channels of HBO, and 2 channels of Showtime. We have all the other local DTV broadcast channels. The guy who did my install claims that as soon as the other local channels begin broadcasting HD OTA that TWC will carry them.

My settop box is an Atlanta-Scientific 3100HD. It connects to my tv via component connections, and has an optical digital out for digital audio. The picture and sound are absolutely breathtaking. Some of the regular digital channels such as IFC sometimes seem a bit starved for bandwidth and get a lot of figital artifacting, but most of the digital channels usually look really good too.

Clearly this is very different than what TWC is doing elsewhere. In fact, the guy at Best Buy who sold me my set was telling me what an awful time he had trying to get HDTV through TWC and he was just on the other side of town. I guess it must depend on your local TWC affiliate, and I guess on your location and the status of your rollout, rather than there being one overarching policy.

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

My digital cable signal is terrible on my 65", but on the 36" it's looks really good. I'm going to ask my local TWC provider if they have the 3100HD most likely their going to say they don't know what da hell I'm talking about.