Just noticed this, thought I'd share (possibly ideal IB driver for $100)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

http://www.stryke.com/SAE1503.html
    Unless I'm missing something wouldn't this thing be perfect for IB use. Fs 16.75hz, QTS of 0.44. Capable of 2.4L of displacement. Best part, it's on preorder at Stryke right now for $100 each. And the regular price is still gonna be just $125.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Yeah, those SAE appear to be variations on the Tempest theme. That particular one does indeed look very good for IB use, with the slightly lower Fs and higher Qts.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Looking at it again, it appears the only really trade off is efficiency in the 3 different versions of that 15" driver that Stryke offers.

Fs of 20.7hz, QTS of 0.35 gets you a 91.4dB efficiency

Fs of 18.5hz, QTS of 0.39 gets you a 89.6dB efficiency

Fs of 16.75hz, QTS of 0.45 gets you a 87.7dB efficiency

But with 4-8 of them in an IB would the 87.7dB efficiency even matter?

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Right, that's just the efficiency trade-off you'd expect with the lowering of Fs via the progressively higher Mms. The 1502 and 1503 appear to be what you'd get by mass-loading a 1501.

In arrays like that, you'd typically have overkill as far as efficiency is concerned, anyway.

5. kevin_u

kevin_u Agent

Dustin,
    thanks again for this driver info.
    As you know I have a opening framed off, and a box completed for 4-15's IB. I planned on ordering the Tempests in the morning.
    I'll call Stryke in the morning to see what they have to say, as well to check on lead time.
    My deciding factor may be the lead time. We currently have no bass. Our golden retriever wouldn't mind waiting, he's enjoying walking thru the hole in the wall.
    Maybe Thomas can give us his thoughts on the Stryke 1503.
    Kevin

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I completely forgot about mass loading a driver. That definately does appear to be what they are doing. The 1502 has almost identical specs to the Tempest except it gives up 1/4L in displacement to the Tempest.

So how hard would it be to mass load a Tempest to get it closer to the 1503?

Mind you with the Tempest having its' price increased to $150. Would the extra $32 per driver (assuming you get the HTT 5% discount and you ordered 4 or more, if only two it would be an extra $42.50) and having to mass load it yourself be worth the extra 1/4L in displacement per driver?

Oh and Kevin, you may want to email Adire. There have been a couple threads recently saying people are waiting on Tempests because they are on backorder.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I'd think it would be fairly easy to add mass to a Tempest, Dan could tell you how, and how much it could take. You can model this in LspCAd to see what you'd get.
    Here are some comments from Stryke on mass-loading:
    http://basszone.stryke.com/theory.html

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I don't know anything about the Stryke driver. They don't state what the cone material is, I hope it's not poly.

There is NO benefit to mass loading a Tempest. They'll play very low without it. Remember my big IB has pretty solid output down to below 15Hz, and that's with Shiva's