Just my luck, I ended up with 2 baby guinea pigs.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Jul 30, 2005.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I woke up this morning to find 2 baby guinea pigs with the 2 older ones I already had. I had thought the 2 older ones were both female, but unfortunately one is a male. There's no denying it's the father either, because one of them looks exactly like it and both have the same type of fur. I was surprised to learn that baby guinea pigs are born with their fur and their eyes open, unlike other rodents like rats and mice. The babies are pretty much ready to go once they're born.

2. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Figure out which is which and separate them NOW or you will have MORE than 2 baby guinea pigs. [​IMG]

I seem to remember that they become mature REALLY fast, and can start making baby guinea pigs of their own in an astonishingly short amount of time.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I know which is which and I have seperated them. I had no idea that the mother was pregnant because she never really showed it.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Sounds like something out of "Gremlins." Did you get them wet? [​IMG]

Whatever you do, don't feed them after midnight! [​IMG]

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Do they normally have only 2 babies at a time? Other rodents have much bigger litters.

6. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

Sounds like tribbles! [​IMG]

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

It's probably not a good idea to separate them while they are still dependent on the mother's milk.

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Back to the basics for you.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Was there ever any doubt? I mean, is there a "traveling salesman" male guinea pig in the neighborhood? [​IMG]

There's always paternity court.......................

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Was there ever any doubt? I mean, is there a "traveling salesman" male guinea pig in the neighborhood?

No, but depending on when he got the first 2, the female might have already been pregnant when he got it.

11. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Sorry, but I just had to use that gif. [​IMG]

12. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

That is seriously the funniest thing I've read on-line in sometime. [​IMG][​IMG] It's good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time or it would have ended up all over the monitor.

13. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Lettuce know all the juicy details.

14. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Dome Vongvises: It can be hard sometimes to tell the difference between the sexes with guinea pigs. Males don't always have noticable nuts, and both look similar in that region when you don't see the nuts. Even professionals have sometimes gotten it wrong.

And yes there could have been another father, because I got Molly the mother a little over 2 months ago, and that's about how long a gestation period is for guinea pigs. I had gotten Rascal last December. When the babies were born a couple days ago, it was pretty obvious who the father was.

15. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Stephen, we were just having a little fun, no insult intended. [​IMG] This is the lounge, after all.

Heck, I'm a veterinarian and I probably couldn't tell male from female guinea pig easily.

16. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yea, I know everyone's kidding. In the books it's easy to tell, but from my experience it wasn't. And I couldn't really tell Molly was pregnant because she didn't really gain much weight. She just looked like a little fatty like a lot of other guinea pigs I've seen look. Even now after having the 2 babies, she doesn't seem to have lost too much weight.