Just moved into new house, proper TiVo shutdown?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott Simonian, May 3, 2004.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Hi. I just moved into a new house. My Tivo box is still over at my (old) house with recorded material.

I was wondering if there was a proper way to shutdown the TiVo without deleting the content on the tivo. Also, what do I have to do about the account? Do I have to sign up again or do I just change the information on the account?

Thanks.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi scott -

i don't recall the details, but there is a way to shut it down or put it into standby...or something like that. you have to go into the menu system to do it, but i don't recall where.

but, tbh, i wouldn't worry about it too much. my cat has tripped my power supply more times then i care to recall. that effectively cut all power to my tivo. all i did was plug it back in, it re-aquired (sp?) the sat, and all was good in the world. [​IMG]

as far as moving, again i'm not sure, but i believe you just call up directv when you've physically moved the box ... they'll update their info ... and you should be all set.

[edit] doh...i just realized you may be talking about a stand-alone tivo. i'm talking about a direct-tivo combo...sorry... [​IMG]

3. Scott Simonian

Yeah. Maybe I should have put in some more detail. I use Comcast cable connected to a stand-alone TiVo. I forget the exact model number. We just got it about two maybe three months ago. It is the 80GB version.

When I looked at the "Standby" feature previously, it gave me a warning that the content may be deleted. Im sure it wont but I dont want to lose anything just yet.

I wont make a move yet til I get a confirmed procedure. Obviously, if all I have to do is turn it off then Ill do it.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Make sure it isn't recording anything and just pull the plug. Nothing bad will happen.

If you moved to an area with a different channel line-up, then you need to update your box. (I'm a DirecTivo user so I'm not sure how to do it on yours) Your box will call in and download the new line-up and you will be ready to record.

-Robert

5. Scott Simonian

Okay, sounds pretty simple. But when I bring it to the new house do I have to reconfigure the setup for the TiVo? I thought I remember it needing the location of where you live and all that. But now that I think about it, I bet that just may be for the channel lineup. Which is not any different cause I just live about three or four miles from my old house.

Thank you very much Ted and Robert!

6. Scott Simonian

Hi.

Sorry, I have another question. I thought I might as well ask in here instead of starting a new thread.

There are no phone jacks nearby where the Tivo will go. I remember there being a device a few years ago that you would plug into a power outlet and BOOM! You have yourself a phone jack. Are these things still around? I dont remember how they worked. I just assumed that they somehow used the power lines for the phone or it was someting wireless.

Anyone have an idea on how to add a phone jack nearby without having to run something in the walls? I have plenty of spare wall power outlets around, thankfully.

7. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Scott,

What you want is a wireless modem jack. The side benefit of getting one of these is that it will protect the modem in your standalone TiVO....surges will not be able to pass into the modem when using a wireless jack.

Here is a link to the TiVO store on TivO's website:

https://store.tivo.com/ProductListing.aspx?cid=102

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you can also get them at best buy....