What's new

just moved in, my girl says no to dipoles. Help! (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
After placing and reconnecting all my gear (whew), my girlfriend asks ,"So what are you gonna do with those last two speakers?"...speaking on my Carver 5.1 dipoles sitting in the floor. THese were up as surrounds in my old apartment.THey are also black and will not match with our new walls (beige) not to mention wires have to be strung up from front to rear and up to the speakers at a decent height. :frowning: So...what I am needing is an alternative way to use my dipoles or buy some decent monopole speakers that will match well with my Linn Keilidhs? ANy ideas? thanks! Please help because I am missing toomuch info in my movies having these speakers off. :frowning:

Keir H

Second Unit
thanks for the reply Khoa! I am unable to find any speakers (Linn) for sale used on the net after searching Audiogon (most reliable) Audioreview, or Ebay. Actually I did find some 5110's there for $150..I dunno if thats a good deal plus I believe you have to mount those??

Do those PSB's use a metallic tweeter? I have ceramic in my Linn's. Thanks for more suggestions...

PS how bout NHT 1.5?

Keir H

Second Unit
Any ideas? There's gotta be a way for me to use my dipoles ...rather than just leave them on the floor outta the way. :frowning:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The answer is simple really, though if you do this, plan on
keeping those Dipoles..
Whatever paint she used on the walls, use on the cabinents
of the DiPoles, Carefully remove all the drivers and set
them aside when you paint the cabinents (remiove the binding
posts also) and you can always recover the grills in a more
neautral color, Parts Express sells different color acousticaly
transparent grill cloth.
As for the wires, they too can easily be painted to match
the walls, or you could buy 50' of Acoustic Research's
Ultra Flat peel and stick wire it's 2 solid conductors that
are about the thickness of a sheet of paper, the conductors
are on an adhesive backing, you stick it to the wall and
then you paint over it.
Or... Move back into your own apartment... Just another
reason why being single RULES...
:)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO if you really like your Carver 5.1 dipoles I would tell your girlfriend that you can get the flat wire that you can paint over to match the wall. And as long as you have good wall brackets. I would be honest and tell her flat out that you will not replace them and how important it is to you! She may not like it, she may be upset and pout for a few days. But later she will respect you for standing up for what you want!
Happy New Year :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
can't speaker wires be buried in the wall? when the wife and I moved to our new apartment, we actually had the contractor hack out a small trough in the plaster, laid the speaker wire in, and plastered and painted it back over. of course, this means that 5 years from now when cable upgradeitis hits I can't do anything about the surround speaker cables, but hey that's life.

or is US building code a bit more strict about this sort of thing? heck, I don't know if local code has a problem with it, just no one seems to worry too much about it...

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
U.S Building code states any in wall wires must be CL2 Rated
(For 2 wires) CL3 for 3 wires.

I ran Radioshack 16Awg CL2 through my attic for the rear
surrounds.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Running a wire through a normal drywall wall is not that difficult as long as there are no obstructions like horizontal studs or insulation and such. Drill a hole at the top where you want to put your speaker, and one directly below(remove the base board and make a hole behind that to make it really nice). Tie a something with some weight like a nut or screw to a sting. Push the nut through the hole find it at the bottom(make sure you do not pull the string all the way through the top hole). Attach the string to your wire, pull it through and voila. You can then run the wire behind the base board to the receiver. You cannot see anything and if you paint the speakers they should be very unnoticeable. Hopefully that should be a good enough compromise to allow her to let you keep them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks