What's new

Just Made The Switch! iTunes question (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just made the switch to an iMac!!

It wasn't really by choice. I had planned on getting one as my next computer, but not so soon. Then, my PC died last night and I figured it is about time.

Love it so far. The screen is gorgeous. I went with the 20 inch and have to say, even this is too big! I'm glad I didn't go for the 24 inch.

I do have to say I wish they offered a bit more instructions in the box, a simple list of keyboard commands and that sort of thing. Making the switch from PC is a bit more difficult. I still don't know how to do a lot of little simple things. But, I'm sure I will learn.

One question I don't know if anyone can help with, is there a way (or a trustworthy program) to transfer your iPod's music to iTunes? I didn't have a backup on my old computer and have over 1,000 songs on it. I see many different programs out there, some free, some you have to pay for. I didn't know if anyone had any luck with any of them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jon,

Welcome to the HTF Mac club!

Love to hear about your experiences as a first-time Mac
user. Please continue to keep us informed.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Rod, thanks for the link!! I think I found a program on that site I am going to try. I spent weeks loading all my CDs only my old computer, so I don't want to loose them.

And Ron, thanks! It is just so strange to be able to turn on a computer and have it start up right away, without having to sit through updates, and virus scans and all of that. You can actually use it.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Cool as heck isn't it! After 8 months of using OS X that still amazes me daily. :D

Anyhow, Congratulation on the switch. After switching to a Mac last spring after 12 years of Windows (and a few years of DOS before that) OS X is a real treat (almost like a reward for leaving Windows). :) Being a quadriplegic I depend very heavily on keyboard commands (shortcuts) so I understand your need to discover them. Let me tell you, OS X's help file blows windows help files away and can list pretty much all available for you to use. Just click "Help" in the toolbar above and type in "shortcuts" in the search field. If thats not enough you can get a widget I used at first here for quick reference. Also take a look at this page listing over 200 shortcuts. Have fun. :)

Sorry I couldn't help with your iTunes question. I don't have an iPod nor use iTunes.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Man, that's funny!

Welcome Jon - a great all around Mac News Site - MacSurfer's Headline News™

I remember a time when I used a PC next to my Mac for CAD and 1 or 2 apps needed that year. Never again. Life Is Short ;)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
To help anyone else, I used Senuti and it worked great!

Still getting the hang of everything. I had a minor problem yesterday, after downloading Firefox and then being unable to "eject" it from the desktop after installing. But, I was able to find a message board where someone else had the same problem and I was able to find out what I did wrong.

And can I also say that Mac people are a lot more helpful? From here, the Mac Forums, when I mentioned it on my blog, everyone has been so welcoming. Very different from PC.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
PC people are just bitter from suffering for so long :) I switched a year and a half ago and its honestly being a wonderful experience. We're a couple of weeks away from dumping my wifes Dull laptop and getting her an iMac so once that's done we'll be 100 percent Apple :) eHMac is another good Apple forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks