Just lookin for input on a new HT

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Asalante, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Asalante

Asalante Agent

First off I think I'm going to go with the Sony 42" Grand WEGA™ LCD Rear Projection TV KF-42WE610 (any thoughts on this unit?) From there I could use some advice on a receiver and a decent dvd player. I have DirecTV for a main source of television. For speakers I was thinking of goin Paradigms all the way around. I'm starting from scratch here building a whole new theater, and could use some pointers in the right direction. Also the size of the room is about 14x20. This will be mostly used for DVD moive watching and the occasional sporting event and some music. But the focus will be DVD's. As far as budget. Well the tv goes for about $2799, I'd rather keep the rest around that or less as well, If I can build this for 4-5 grand or less that would be about right. Wife is goin to kick my butt as is [​IMG] (thanx for the tip Lew)
    Asalante

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Paradigm certainly has a fine reputation. But it will be helpful for us to understand your budget, the size of your room and your listening habits (or at least what you think they will be).

Then you will get a lot of suggestions.

3. Asalante

Asalante Agent

And one more question is there a significant difference between the Paradigm Cinema Series and the Monitor Series? Any reason why a person would go with one over the other....

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There's no paradigm "model" series. Perhaps you mean the Monitor series? The cinema series is like the performance series, but smaller, and requires a sub. The monitor series is a step up from there. The monitor series has much better performance, but then again, they are full-sized, so if small size is a priority, then perhaps something like the new On-Wall monitor series, or just sticking with the cinema series might suffice, depending on budget, etc.

Check the receiver forums, and source forums for DVD player advice. There are MANY solid receivers out there, marantz, denon, hk, pioneer elite, yamaha, sony ES, outlaw, rotel, onyko/integra, and the list goes on.

I don't use a DVD player so i really have no idea what the heck is going on with dvd players these days. [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since we're discussing specific speaker recommendations primarily, I'm moving this thread to Speakers/Subwoofers. The Basics are is for asking about the essentials. A Basics-type of speaker-related question would be, say, "What's the difference between dipoles and direct-radiators?" Or, "What's the difference between ported speakers and sealed speakers?" That sort of thing.

6. Asalante

Asalante Agent

:b Argh rough being the newbie... I went in basics because I basicly have general questions about a whole setup and my current knowledge doesn't go beyond the basics if that...