Just listened to Bose AM15...Not too bad!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Ace, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

I think I am going to snatch this systme up. For ubder $2K I can pick this set up at a local Best Buy. Should I listen to anything else in this price range? I was really impressed!!![​IMG]

2. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Oh boy, here we go again!!:b

3. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

What do you mean "Here we go again?"

4. John Hergenrather

I don't know - kinda looks like flamebait to me!![​IMG]

5. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Jeff,

I think you should take your 2K and listen to every speaker package in that price range. Then you will "hear" what we are talking about.

Take Care,

Greg

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Best way to put this: "Go buy the Bose and we'll all come over and beat you with a stick"[​IMG][​IMG] Before you buy first do a search of the forums regarding Bose. Secondly checkout the link below for info on the Bose frequency response. We just don't want to see you waste $2k.
    Kevin
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/index.html

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I was in no way trying to be flame bait! I am just sick and tired of someone saying that they listened to the Bose stuff, and thought it sounded O.K., and then the rest of the forum going off on a huge rant about why Bose sucks. I will add that, in my opinion you can find better sounding equipment for the same of less money. Not saying that Bose is bad by any means. I would search the forums for previous post about Bose. Good Luck with your desision.

Brandon

8. John Hergenrather

Brandon, I was not meaning to imply that your comment was flamebait, but rather that Jeff's original post smelled like flamebait. I was not wanting to push Jeff away if he actually is serious in his inquiry.

I actually bought Bose as my first speakers about 10 years ago. At the time, I thought they were the greatest. Over the next several years I listened to several speaker systems from other manufacturers. i came to realize that Bose spends a large amount of money on marketing, and bass response is not at the top of their priority list! For the money that I spent, I definitely could have done better.

Since then I have gone through a couple of different speaker packages. I'm quite satisfied with where I have ended up! It's been a journey!

In my opinion, it's just one of those lessons that is learned by listening to other systems. That and using your own ears - not relying on a salesman to tell you what you like!

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hi Jeff,

Probably not the reaction you expected huh? Understand that nobody is getting down on you for liking the Bose, but that most on this forum think/know you could spend your money a lot more wisely as far as sonics and quality are concerned. You might want to start over by posting something listing your budget and what pieces of equipment you'd like to purchase with it. That way, you'd get some real useful tips from some very knowledgeable board members. Then, you could go audition the recommended pieces of audio equipment and decide for yourself. Be patient and enjoy the process. In my short time here, I've seen many buyers express a lot of joy and satisfaction with the systems they purchased via this means.

10. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Jeff,

I listened to the Bose system, and it is not a bad system. And the 'cuteness' factor of the speakers does weigh heavily in some folks' decisions.

For me, it came down to this - do I want a cute system, or do I want performance. Why performance? Because I could easily put together a system at that price point with far better clarity, punch, and accuracy than the Bose ever will have.

Those were important criteria for me. Hence I went with an all NHT system, eventually exchanging the NHT sub for an SVS 16-46CS, a match that is so perfect it is like the sub and the speakers were made for each other. I now have exemplary accuracy, clarity and punch from about 16Hz up above 20KHz. In most of that range,

11. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

For instance, my, off the top of my head, recommendation for consideration would be the Onkyo 595 receiver, Polk 35i front speakers, Polk center channel, and Polk 25i rears, with either an Adire Rava or Hsu VTF-2 sub, and a Toshiba 4700 DVD player. But, I don't know your needs and listening habits. I haven't figured out all the exact prices here, but think that all of the above can be had at about the $2000 range, depending on what kind of deals you can get. I guarantee you that the above system would put that of the Bose to shame. Just my opinion and good luck in your search.

12. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Now you got me thinking. An Outlaw 1050 receiver can be had for just under $500. Do a search and see how users of this receiver give it audiophile type praise. A complete set of Ascend speakers with the Hsu VTF-2 sub if I recall is about $1100. There, that's $1600 for some pretty dang good gear. Now, as for me, I just can't get over how good the Swan speakers look, but their 5 surround speakers would cost about $14-1500 dollars, without the sub. Anyway, as a good site to read reviews of all of the above, I post a link below. I should mention that all of this equipment has to be bought directly from the manufacturer, but the savings the consumer receives by doing it this way can be very, very significant.
    Link:http://www.cheaphometheater.com/

13. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

oo DanaA...that system would make poor Jeff Ace melt...awesome stuff

14. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Ace,
    Is there a little sarcasm there? If not, you may want to try this system out:
    nOrh ceramic 4.0 package - $850 (wood 4.0 package goes for $775 until 12-26)
    Denon AVR-1802 receiver - $380
    Panasonic RV-31 dvd player - $180
    SVS 20-39CS - $449
    KLH R-3000 receiver from Best Buy - $100 (use to power the SVS)
    Total price - $1,959
    That is a system that will blow the Bose one away.

15. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

16. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Guys, I think Jeff was pullin' our leg [​IMG] This thread is a "joke". Haha.
    -Ryan

17. Jermaine_M

Jermaine_M Auditioning

Not trying to be rude, but you can find much better equipment perfomance-wise than a Bose system. I have a friend that deals in high end home theater equipment and they have a saying regarding Bose..."No highs, no lows, must be a Bose." My parents dropped about $1,500 on a Bose system, and when I go to thier house and listen to it, it makes me sick that he spent so much on so little. Wish he would have listened to me. Doesn't compare to what I'm used to.

18. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

Come on guys, the guy at Best Buy told me that Bose made the best speakers around. They produce sound through constant research. They sounded better than the Sony, Pioneer and Infinity systems I heard.[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. John Morris

John Morris Guest

20. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm.. I followed one of the links posted about Bose. In the FAQs, it says "Some brands names generally considered worse than, equal to, or at least not consistently superior to Bose include Polk, Technics, Klipsch, Sony, JBL, Kenwood, KLH, Pioneer, Cerwin-Vega, Advent, DCM, and dozens of others. Of course, again, opinions vary (Klipsch, in particular, has some strong proponents). "

I thought the Klipsch was a pretty good speaker, or at least mine (RF-3 IIs) sound good to me. What am I missing?