What's new

Just how good is Directway? (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
The search function has been disabled all day.
I am looking into getting this Internet satellite access and was just wondering what sort of speeds do you really get. Also what problems have any of you users had with this system.
Was it worth it?
I have seen some that require 1 year at $100 a month then $70 a month after that year with no further commitment.
Does this sound about right?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I've been researching on DirectWay for a few weeks now mostly at the forums at dslreports.com. From what I gather from their own customers as well as the actual service, it would actually depend on how u would use the connection. If ur just surfing the net , d/l, etc., then it would suffice with speeds close to 1Mbps. But if ur using it like most of us here internet games and the like, the latency is said to be inherently high, with ping times around 300-400.
But u know what's the biggest thing that turned me off? I have an 802.11b wireless network up and running using my cable modem. It says at their website that it cannot be used in this fashion. U can share it, but only thru another PC used as a gateway. Kind of OK for others but I'm not about to tether everyone in the holdhold again with CAT5.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Latency is very high as stated and will not work for online games and any other application that relys on a need for a real time connection. I haven't heard anything about speeds but to me if there are other options i.e. cable/dsl in your area it would be more cost effective to go with one of those.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah it's pretty useless from what I've read. Not only for the high latency, but the bandwidth caps also. I've heard your allotted like 10GB/month and if you go over that your speed is reduced drastically. 10 gigs may seem like a lot, but once you get broadband you can chew through that in no time. Not sure if cable,DSL or fixed wireless are available in your area, but if they are go for them instead.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Thats my problem, nothing else available in my area other than dial up.
I am in the beginning of learning about computers and networks etc.
This information is good keep it coming.
Right now it would just be for surfing but I would like to play real time games in the future.
They actually limit the speed according to how much info you have downloaded? Thats ridiculous for the price you pay to have the service.
I can see what they are trying to control. They do not want people sharing the service between homes.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I helped set up Directway at a friends house and have suffered the net with it so here are my observations.

If you are just going to surf the net then you'll find the speeds to be pretty good. I've run speed tests using the various test sites on the web and have found that the connection was regularly getting 1mb speed.

As stated above gaming does not work very with a satellite connection because of the latency.

The same can be said for hooking up to a company's VPN connection. In fact if you were purchasing it for that purpose then I would advise against it because dial up is as good and sometimes better then Satellite for VPNs.

Wireless is possible with Directway but it does take some work to get running. If you want to share the connection and you are not purchasing the DW4020 option then you'll need to use a PC on your network as a gateway. Once that is set up you can connect a wireless AP in order to go wireless.

For additional information concerning Directway I would suggest Copperhead.cc.

Users who are viewing this thread