What's new

Just how dangerous is an Xbox to my Toshi? (1 Viewer)

GregZ

Agent
I have a 50hdx82 and am now really scared of burn-in. I ran Sound+Vision and turned contrast down a bunch, but to see right on the Xbox I have to turn it up to around 55-60. Just how dangerous is the Xbox? Did anyone have burn-in from games?
Thanks,
Greg

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

How dangerous is a gun in a person's hands ... depends.

Go to any arcade and look at the burn in that they have on all their RPTV based units. Much more severe than on the DV based units.

You play at you own risk. The TV manual and the Game manuals have already told you what they think.

If you need to pump something up ... up the brightness, not the contrast. Contrast generally makes the bright things brighter ... and the dark stuff is left alone.

Regards

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I've had an Xbox since X-Mas. No burn-in. I've played through Halo, and plany plenty of Halo online with it. I don't use it a ton...

I try not to play more than a few hours at a time. I also play regular NES games on it, which are even worse for burn-in issues. On the Sega sports games, you can turn off stationary logos, and have no fear...

Listen to Michael about contrast/brightness.

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Most people talk about brightness/contrast but dont mention color temp.

Does having your color temp set to:
cool (10,500K)
Standard (6,500K)

also play a big role in burn in? Just curious because it is never mentioned?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
GReetings

No, it doesn't matter. The temp is simply a way of describing things ... not an actual indication of how hot it is in the TV.

The temp is based on heating a piece of magnesium I believe to various temperatures and noting the colour of light it gives off at those temperatures.

Regards

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Gaming on RPTV is fine as long as you remember to turn down the contrast as far as it goes. Contrast controls the white level, and high contrast will cause burn-in. If you find it a bit too dark, raise the brightness. Brightness controls the black level and works contrarily -- raising brightness decreases black level and vice versa. Lowering black level does not affect burn-in nearly as much as increasing white level, so low contrast and high brightness can result in a good and not too dim picture that goes a long way to reducing the chance of burn-in. If you turn brightness too high, the picture will wash out, but it isn't a big factor in burn-in.

I've been playing GC on my RPTV, and it's been awesome. I do try to limit it to 2 hours at a time max, although the Pioneer manual says the Game Mode on my 533HD5 allows me 2 hours. Since I've turned contrast down even further and since the 2 hours is probably a very conservative and safe estimate by Pioneer, I don't forsee any problems.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I game on RPTV, no problems.
However, I use the exact same picture settings as I do for DVD. No additional brightness or contrast for games.
And I balance it out with lots of movies, TV, and other sources.
Remember, those games in the arcade...
1) Have contrast and brightness through the roof
2) Never play other sources
3) Run the exact same game for 16 hours a day, every day
The difference between that and what you will do at home is likely as different as night and day.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I have to turn (the contrast) up to around 55-60
I don't know if that's a midway point or even higher, but I'd say if you're going above what you calibrated originally, it's too high.

Try upping the brightness instead. I'm not familiar with the Xbox, but I though there was some sort of output control in the settings.

Jon Sciabica

Agent
i have a 51swx20b (Hitachi RPTV). Ive been playing Halo for several hours a day at noraml movie watching settings for months with no problems. At first I was very worried too, also for the black bars on 2.35 movies. But now i don't even think about it. However after reading this i think i will lower my contrast and raise my brightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks