Just hooked up new Velodyne 12" CHT - sounds a bit too muddy - any suggestions?

steve nn

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I had you turn your bass volume down on your receiver by 1/2 so you might find you will need to edge up the volume some on your sub to calibrate. If our blood pressure was at what you had your bass set at on your receiver we would not make it through a short 1/2 hr sitcom. Sorry I do not know how many dots are on the back of your sub. I am thinking 9 most likely. Go ahead and start at 1.25 where you have it now. You should notice a big difference with your receiver cut back now anyway. Hang in there Dave, I know how frustrating this can be.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Update---

Much improved sound!

I set my sub's corssover to direct - using only the receiver's crossover.

And, the DD LFE is now balanced instead of turned to the max (which was the default on my receiver!).

The overall sound on my system sounds more balanced, as well. The highs stand out more and the bass is not as muddy.

My only other question at this point is how valid the sound meter is? Should I pretty much just go by ear? According to the sound meter, I am 2-3 db below my mains. But, I feel I could lower the bass volume just a bit more.

Steve, I did need to increase the sub volume slightly - since I lower the DD LFE on my receiver.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help, guys!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Use the meter as a starting point, but then definitely go by ear. It's a preference thing at that point. Alot of people like a little more bass for movies than on music. Plus, some movies, like Lord of the Rings, will have killer bass in the DVD, so you may find yourself turning down a bit.

Relax and enjoy the bass!

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I watched E.T. and the first 30 minutes of Matrix tonight. I have found myself lowering the sub volume very slightly every so often. I am back down to the "first notch" volume on my sub. It seems very little volume is needed.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
With Velodyne subs, the volume level should be between 8 and 10 o'clock o the dial. Call Velodyne again and ask for David Santos (head man in charge) in customer service, he'll get you going in the right direction.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Volume at 8-10 o'clock? If I set it at that level right now, that would be WAY, WAY too much bass. I couldn't imagine.

steve nn

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Your misunderstanding what Will is saying. He basically is saying between dot 2 and dot 5 if you have 9-10 dots. You might have 6 dots. Let us know. It might be beneficial to turn your receiver bass down even a tad more since you do 95% music 5% HT. in a smaller room. Dave calibrate your sub -2db and this should be very close to calibration. Know the setting and then adjust to your taste. You will know where calibration is though for a reference. Glad to here it is sounding much better.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Steve,

my sub is for 100% home theater - my room is pretty large too --- close to 20X20X8.

I know what he was saying with regard to the volume, but at this point, if I move it much above the first notch, there is definitely too much bass....at least with movies I have watched (E.T., Matrix, Spider-man, Phantom Menace).

You still recommend turning down the bass on the receiver for the sub?

steve nn

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
MMM-- I don't know where I picked up the idea that you were 95% music. How many dots are on the back of your sub?

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Nine dots. Right now volume is at first dot (or just very slightly above it). It just seems like too much if I go above this.

steve nn

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Try cutting your receiver bass setting back another 3-4 clicks and then re-calibrate.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Interesting enough, there were no changes on the sound meter despite moving the DD and DTS volume levels down (or up). I was using Avia's test tones.

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
On your set up of the unit.

I would recommend that you try to place it up on the front wall. I think you will get the best overall performance from that location.

Here is a sort of backwards trick you can use to help find the best location for your sub.

Place the sub as close to the listening position as you can. Take a CD player, regular or portable and connect it to the line in on the sub. Set the sub volume on the 4th dot and play a bass heavy CD. Walk around the room. The place where you hear the best clean clear solid bass is a good starting point for locating your sub. It will need some tuning once you get it in place, but this will get you close to start.

Install and calibration. I would recommend that you get an SPL meter. It will help you so much that you will be surprised at what your system will sound like after dialing it in with an SPL meter.

On the interconnection cable. Use a single cable fro your receiver to the subs location, then a short “Y” adapter to both left and right INPUTS on the sub.

Once you get the unit into the place you will use it, power and signal feed to the sub, you will need to go to your owners manual for your receiver or processor and follow the instructions for installing and setting up for use with a subwoofer. It is quite easy to do.

On the CHT series you should find the following controls.
Volume (some call gain) Dots mark level
Phase Switch for “0” or “180”, an adjustable knob for CHT-15
2 Power switches on some, a main near the cord, a second near the volume, marked AUTO and ON.
A crossover, it may say Xover in or internal and direct.
On the CHT-15 an additional switch marked audio/video. A boos for old films with low bass output. Not recommended for normal use.

Set the volume control about 4th dot to start.
Set the phase to “0”
Set the switches to Power to “auto” the unit will turn on when you use your system
Set the Audio/Video switch to “audio” Only use video if a movie has low bass output
Set the Crossover to “out” or “direct” depends on what your markings are.

The recommended procedure for setting up a Velodyne sub is to place the “volume” control to a starting point. Say the 4th dot. On most Velodyne the optimum working range is from the 3rd to 5th dot, you can go lower, but you don’t want to go higher.

Have your source set to its mid point, most systems this is “0”

With a test tone AND some form of other audio, take reading from an SPL meter.

If the measured out put is significantly higher, adjust the SUB gain down ½ a dot and re-test. It is the other way, move the gain up ½ dot. Do this a ½ dot at a time until you get close.

When you are close to the reference you are looking for, make the final adjustments with your processor output. Ideal would be to have no more than a working range of 0 to +2 on the source and 3 ½ to 4 on the sub. If this range is not cast in stone. It is the best starting point and for most the optimum working range. I have seen units down as low as 2 dots.

To eliminate some problems with the auto on functions, try to never go into a negative number on the source, if you have to think about going this way, bring the sub down first. Try not to have the subs “volume” below 1 ½ dots.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
To eliminate some problems with the auto on functions, try to never go into a negative number on the source, if you have to think about going this way, bring the sub down first. Try not to have the subs “volume” below 1 ½ dots.
Mike, are you saying I should not go into negative numbers on my receiver for the DD and DTS volumes?

What is the difference whether I do it on my sub or receiver?

I am farily certain I am going to keep my sub where it is currently positioned (against the wall, 7-8 feet from corner). The way my TV and everything else in my room is position, I don't have many other options. Also, I kind of like the bass coming from the TV area or where the mains are.

My biggest problem is getting the right volume. From where my sub is positioned, I just can't see increasing the volume much more as you and others have recommended. Why is this? I mean if I have it on the third notch, the bass drowns everything else out. Anything above one notch registers higher than my main speakers on the sound meter.

Againm, my sub does sound better having turned it down and only using my sub's crossover.

Thanks for your reply.

steve nn

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Yes Michael that is why I decided he might need to go in the negative rang on his receiver. For his size room it seems as though that sub is supercharged. You know I run two 15"s Michael and I have had no problem getting them calibrated to the rang you speak of. 2 1/4 on one and 2 3/4 on the other with receiver at +2. If Dave is getting that much output with the gain on his sub set to 1, I think he should explore negative. Heck it's not even corner loaded. Dave are you in a square room with just one metal chair in front of your TV with hardwood floors and many windows with no curtains?
Back to serious now-- In your circumstances I would go negative and see if this helps?

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
My room consists of the following:
61" TV in corner
Computer desk
Two couches
four tables
two chairs
I am sitting in the opposite corner of the room facing the TV.
There is an 8 foot wide walkway into the other room.
So, I do have a few things in this room.

P.S. I should note that my sub sits on the floor next to my desk. Basically, my sub "kind of" is in a corner because the desk has no openings around it- so it acts like a little wall. So, my sub is kind of in a corner.

steve nn

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
When you get a chance try scaling down another 3 off your DD bass setting on your receiver and see if this helps? You will be turning the volume down on your receiver to your sub if that helps you understand.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I'll try that...but why does it matter where I lower my bass...from receiver or sub? Is there something about each one that is different?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahulbnmeka