Just Heard "Die Another Day" by Madonna

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    It has to be one of the Worst Bond themes ever. Bond Theme? Where was it. At least most of the other openings had some semblance of it running beneath the tune. Maybe they thought they would try something different, but Madonna's Lame electronica just does'nt cut it. Now where's My Duran Duran "View to a Kill"

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

It's dreadful. I couldn't figure out that it was a James Bond song until it was almost over. No melody, no passion, no nothin'. I never thought ANYTHING would make me nostagic for a Sheryl Crow song.

Where's Tom "Thunderball" Jones when you need him?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A sure sign that Madonna's career of ceaseless self-promotion is on the downhill slide, according to the Los Angeles Times, is that she has a children's book in the offing.

The writer also went on to paint a stark portrait of her "career" in movies ("she can't act") and contrasted it with her career in music ("she really can't sing all that well").

And I utterly resent it when she refers to herself as a "musician." She's an entertainer, not a musician.

Sorry for the rant. Thank you.

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I'd agree it's the worst Bond theme I've heard (although I'm not particularly fond of Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang either). at least View to a Kill and Living Daylights were half-decent pop songs for their era (i.e. the somewhat cheesy 80s).

or is it that Die Another Day is what pop music in the 2000s (what do we call it, the Noughties?) and us old fogeys "don't get it"? I have never liked the electronic stuff that everyone seems to love nowadays, I didn't like dance music in the 90s either.

Wilson and Broccoli have obviously been alert to the fact that the Bond franchise needs to be updated to move with the times, hence Bond now being a non-smoker (remember "filthy habit", in TND?), his boss M is now a woman, the enemies aren't the Russians (Soviets) but now are terrorists/media megalomaniacs etc. using Garbage for the TWINE theme was a further step.

so my proposition is this: is DAD really a bad Bond theme, is it a bad song per se, or is it just a product of its time that the "ahem" slightly older and less trendy members of this forum don't like? comments from teen Bond fans who like "modern music" would be welcome...

and to quote something I see often on another mailing list I'm on, "I'll get my flame-proof coat..."

(to put things in context, I am a "child of the 80s" and am now 33.)

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well Yesit is a bad Bond theme. How can you have a Bond Theme without the Bond Theme running thru it ?

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Dave

if by "Bond theme" you mean the famous twangy guitar riff that then explodes into a full brass-band fanfare, that doesn't exactly appear in the songs that are identified as "Bond themes". it does of course appear regularly through the music score of any Bond movie (official movie; it doesn't appear in NSNA).

I thought what you originally meant in your first post was that the other songs often "felt" like Bond themes, big and bold, brassy and with oomph. obvious examples are the early ones like Goldfinger (probably the classic Bond theme), Thunderball, and even slower but lush orchestral-backed pieces like You Only Live Twice. the more modern songs (i.e. 70s/80s/90s) moved with the times, but still had a "big" feel to them, for want of a better term.

even the relatively poor efforts by Sheryl Crow and Garbage still had a "big, bold" feel to them. whereas DAD doesn't sound much different from Madonna's earlier electronica hit Music.

I think Mark may have alluded to the same thing, when he pointed out the missing "passion" in DAD.

oh well. but the bottom line is, we're all agreed, DAD is a crap Bond theme.

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Go back and listen to the main themes I think you'll hear some of Monty Norman's theme running thru them

8. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    It is dreadful, and especially dreadful for a Bond theme. OK, it's painful, excruciatingly painful to listen to.

The only hope we have is that there will be a different, more suitable version used in Die Another Day.

9. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Edit: It appears I've heard the wrong song.

10. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

I also heard the wrong "version" of the DAD theme song by Madonna as well. I downloaded a version off of WinMX that was labeled "Madonna - Die Another Day (CD quality)" at 192k, and thought it was the real deal. I actually thought it was a pretty good song, not quite James Bond material, but a nice song nonetheless.

Then, one day I was watching VH1 and saw the video for DAD, and heard the REAL song. HOLY SHIT, MADONNA HAS SINGLE HANDEDLY RUINED THE WORLD OF JAMES BOND.

It turns out the mp3 I downloaded was actually from the "Next Best Thing" soundtrack, and the song was really titled "Time Stood Still".

If they had used that track instead of the real DAD theme, it would be 1000 times better. I really hope there is a different version during the credit sequence, or I am going to throw up in the theater.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    No that's the real deal. It is abhorantly bad, but I understand the rest of the soundtrack is pretty good. David Arnold has John Barry sensibilities and his soundtracks usually pay homage to past bond themes

12. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Too bad the explosions and gunfire are so God-damned loud that you can only catch glimpses of some kind of music playing in the background.

13. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I read, I think in Entertainment Weekly that this was the most popular Bond song since 'View to a Kill.' Nobody asked me.

I think Madonna's song is terrible. I do think it's a product song of our times leaning to the tastes of the younger techno, downloading NAPSTER, short attention span crowd. When was the last time you heard a song from Madonna that did not disguise her voice behind all the techo? Terrible.

14. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

Gimme a break, the song isn't that bad. Then again, my favorite Madonna album is Music. So any songs in that vein I would like.

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

They'd better put a warning on it: Listening to song may cause seizures. What's with the bass booms over powering the singing anyway?

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

17. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Ultra396 has done a pretty good remix of the song, give it a try.

18. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Interesting. My thought upon hearing the opening theme was "My god this is terrible. Who is this?" I was later told that it was Madonna.

I'm not a Madonna basher, either -- I quite like some of her stuff, "Ray of Light" in particular.

19. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I don't like Madonna's music. But the posts here are silly. Madonna has been around for 20 odd years - she must be doing something right. Yes, she's a musician - one of her many talents.

As for the song, I don't like it, but it is pretty darned original for a Bond movie. Also, it's the first song to be a #1 hit from a Bond movie in how long? Comparing it to Duran Duran is definitely living in the past.

It's a worthwhile exercise to try differentiate between what you don't like and what is actually bad. Some people will still say that they don't like it because it's bad, but the charts won't back you up...

Cheers,
    Martin.

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor