just had my first DVDA demo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I went to Futile Shop and was looking at a HDTV when a salesman started talking to me and I said I wanted a DVD with progressive scan and DVDA. He had one left of a discontinued model and gave me a demo. All he had was a rock compilation (with Bad To The Bone on track one) and I didn't think it was that great. The system wasn't calibrated because the rear were much lounder than the mains (unless it's mixed that way).
    Does that disk suck or is that DVDA? I thought it would be incredibly wonderful.
    jeremy

2. Sam Rossi

Sam Rossi Extra

On a calibrated system DVD-A sounds wonderful. I'm running a Panasonic RP91 through a Yamaha RXV 800 and with most discs the sound is stunning. Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", "Buena Vista Social Club" and "Brain Salad Surgery by ELP" are excellent examples of the potential of this technology. (I am less enamored with The Corr's "In Blue" but I feel that was undone by a poor mixing effort.)
    I can only suggest you give DVD-A another chance in a properly set-up system.

3. EricK

EricK Second Unit

It probably did not sound great because the shop did not have any type of bass management for dvd-a (most don't...as most machines don't do b.m.)....so you probably didn't get all the bass....or the guy didn't have it hooked up right and you were hearing the dolby digital version....
    Eric.
    ------------------
    Creative Audio Consultants, inc. Installs, calibrations, consultations.
    DVD List:http://www.dvdtracker.com/~EricK
    AOL IM screen name : EDKalet6

4. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

There was enough bass. I was just expecting to be blown away by the incredible fidelity. I was running in the right mode because I saw a little light on the player indicating which mode it was in. Joe Cocker sounded a bit better. The only discs I want right now are Alice Cooper and the Doors. It was a JVC player with a H/K amp and maybe Paradigm speakers.
    jeremy

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

You DID go to Futile Shop.

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I have a RP91 running through a Denon 5800 and DVD-A does sound good but I wasn't completely blown away. I do enjoy the fidelity of the sound compared to some CD's. But, its the mix of the multi-channel sound that will make you like or dislike the music.
    I'm personally waiting for the first 192kHz/24bit stereo recordings to come out. Then we'll see how good it sounds.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Patrick,
    Doesn't the Panasonic come with a DVD-A sampler disc? I got one with my Technics A10 and it has three excellent 24/192 tracks, which are the best examples of quality I have heard on any format and on par with the best I have heard from SACD.
    I too am eagerly awaiting some 24/192 releases. I haven't checked lately, but I think the only one available is a Beethoven disc.
    DJ

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

David,
    Unfortunately I did not. I'm not sure if it was because I'm in Canada or if it was because I bought a week old demo unit and they left it out of the box.
    Its too bad since I really like two channel music and I wanted to see what 192/24 sounds like.
    Which Beethoven disc is out with 192/24?
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

10. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

David,
    I just found that a company named surroundedby is releasing a disc by guarneri string quartet with music by Ravel, Debussy and Faure and it'll have 6 channel 24/96 and stereo 24/192 tracks.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

David,
    The Hodie Beethoven's recordings uses very non-standard tempos (tempii). Exteremely slow and laborious.
    The only compelling reason to purchase would be for the 24bit/192KHz material.
    Audio Net in Germany has a disc out that has most of the encoding possiblities for DVD-A including 6 or so tracks of 24bit/192KHz. Web site is http://www.audionet.de
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

12. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

John,
    Since your probably more in the know than I, what's the reason why there aren't more (or any) 24/192kHz two channel recordings out there?
    Is it because of the fact that the original recordings are at most 24/96?
    After reading the latest the Absolute Sound and their opinion that DVD-A at 24/96 is better than SACD I would think there would be an interest in 24/192 recordings.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

13. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. & links, John and Patrick.
    I do hope we get more 24/192 releases. I think the reason we haven't seen more out of the gate this early is the marketing of DVD-A as a surround music format.
    DJ