Just had a bid accepted on an apartment!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Knight, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

The bid has been accepted, contracts are being sent to lawyers!

It's a new development in Brooklyn, converting the old industrial building that used to house the printing presses for the New York Daily News into condos. My wife and I are getting a 1200 sqft loft-like studio (literally one giant room! The only enclosed space is the bathroom) on the 4th floor.

We are really excited, this will be our first "house" that's not a rental.

Woo hoooo!

So, any advice for this stage from those who have done it before?

2. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

wow, 1200 square feet? that's pretty big for a loft.

i had to make do with a 500 sq. footer in brooklyn heights at rents that could get me 1500 sq. ft. in Jersey.

congratulations.

not much advice on the move itself, but might as well upgrade some home theater equipment since you'll be pulling the thing apart anyway.

3. Max Knight

Yes, it's pretty big, which is just what we want! I'm thinking the time might be right to try front projection, but with all the apartment and moving expenses my toy budget is pretty much nil.

I'm hoping that we will go into contract early next week, and close sometime in mid July / early August.

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Sounds like a cool place. I always thought it'd be great to have a place like that, you can just configure things how you want them without having to fit in 'rooms'; I guess it would be problematic with more people, but perfect for a bachelor or some couples, I would think!
    It just begs to have some sort of pool table, or ping pong, or foosball, or something... [​IMG]
    Congrats!

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Max, I have a 950 square foot loft in Montreal (32 by 30 feet, 10.5 foot high ceiling) featuring the original and fully exposed wooden support beams, brick work and sprinker system, a view of Mount Royal, and an indoor parking spot which I rent out since I don't have my own car. I purchased the place three years ago at a decent price and an unbeatable mortgage rate (5.7%). Here's the floor plan (not to scale).
    [​IMG]
    The thing I love the most is the amount of space I actually have. In my old apartment, the walls, furniture and bookcases took up a lot of space. But with the walls taken out, not only do I have much more room to store my existing stuff, I can go out and get more stuff!
    I'm starting to sound like a George Carlin monologue...[​IMG]
    Enjoy the new loft! Once you start living in a wide open space, you'll wonder how you managed to live in cramped quarters all your life!

6. Max Knight

Just went and took a peak around it today. Right now the developer's son is living in it (he has designed a lot of the building, and done a great job!), so I got to see what it looks like with a small amount of furniture and such. I can't wait to move in!

For those of you who have done the mortgage thing before, how long did it take to get the loan together? I've been told anything from 30 days to 3 months.