Just Got X Box Live...Now What?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bryan Ri, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    ok, just picked up the 12 month starter kit.

I'm just kind of confused as to how all this works, can I just use a router or a hub to connect? any reccomendations on times to play, games to get, etc?

I have a couple ESPN sports games and call to duty, not really a halo fan (don't kill me). Any other reccomendations? Thanks guys, feel from to drop me an IM or a PM with help.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you've got the new Call of Duty game you should never have a hard time finding a game. Popular games like that tend to run 24/7 at full speed.

As for hookup, check www.xbox.com for compatible routers/modems, but you can just split your existing connection with a hub or switch and it should work fine.

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Get Halo 2. Even if you're not a fan. [​IMG]

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Bryan,

You are from CT, like me, so I will give you my experience. I just got the two month trial about 6 weeks ago and I use Comcast as my high speed provider. I was thinking about getting a router and went to www.xbox.com to find out all about the connections needed. The website is very comprehensive and even has a link for Comcast customers on how to hook up and what routers are compatable with Live. However, in the end, I simply directly connect a CAT-5 Ethernet cable to my cable modem when I want to go online. I simply kill the power to my modem, switch out the connection to my PC and add the connection to my Box. Yes, this means I cannot go online with my PC when I am gaming on Live, but this is less of an inconvenience to me than getting a router and going through the hassle of figuring out the hookups. Down the line, this may change, but for now it works out for me.

I am assuming that if you got the starter kit that it comes with a communicator? That is the best thing to happen to gaming in forever. Nothing is more annoying than gaming with someone who can't talk.

Third, Halo 2 is an awesome game, but I too am not the biggest fan. If you want to invite me in sometime, please do as I am a big noob at that game and it seems the online folk take Halo 2 pretty serious.

If you want to have a great time online with a group of people who are pretty friendly to newbies, get Burnout 3: Takedown. It's an incredibly addictive game, with a great adrenaline rush and the people online talk a lot of smack in a friendly, non-competitive way. It's like crack cocaine the game is so much fun.

You will love LIVE...say goodbye to your free time. By the way, where in CT are you located?

5. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Hey folks, thanks for the tips.

Evan, I'm in Danbury. I have SBC DSL and we have a 2Wire tower modem. There's a slot left on it, so I may just directly connect with that, although I would have to probabably get a 100 ft wire. The other option is to do a hub/switch/router, not sure which one would work best. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain.

6. WilliamH

WilliamH Auditioning

Good games for Xbox Live, Mortal Combat Deception, Halo 2 ( doesnt matter if you are a noob or not ) we all started off as noobs, just keep playing, and its a lot of fun when u play your friends ) Madden 2005 isnt bad either

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

There's absolutely no configuration to do if you get a cheap 4 or 5 port switch (less than $20 or so) and split your connection.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8463&CatId=201

If your Box is a ways from your modem and you have no cable run, you can always go the wireless route. That will require a bit more setup, but isn't all that difficult to do. You'd need a wireless router and a wireless XBox access point. If you do that, just be sure to get the Microsoft version of the access point. Linksys makes one that works, but I feel it's too much trouble to set up.

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Mike, what's the difference between that switch and an actual router? Sorry for the stupid question.

9. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Well I can't get this bleepin thing to work. I tried connecting through a router, and it didn't work. Looks like I'll be buying a really long cable today.

10. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I'm on! Gamertag is MastaShake83