What's new

Just got to compair the new sony Recievers.............. (1 Viewer)

AnthonyS

Auditioning
Well I got to A,B the new sony receivers today the 7ES and the 4 ES. I must tell you all that after reading the manual and Long Listening between the 4 and the 7 the only difference is the multi room the 2 way remote and 10 more watts :frowning: I can't say heard a diffrance in sound quality 10 Watts makes no difference maybe they use different AD converters at least I hope so. For a 1999.00 dollar receiver it should justify the price and it just dose not do it. We had B&W 802's hooked up for a while then we put Studio 100's and again the sound stage was ok not great.
By far the denon 4803 blew the doors off the Sony with a much more open sound stage and warmer sound. Now getting back to the 7ES and 4ES I would go with the 4ES due to the fact that the 7ES Sounded the same there were no difference's that we could tell. Well we thought mabey were brain dead lol so we brought in two more people (who both own Krell Systems ) for our *test* lol and they said the same thing they both sounded like 1000 dollar receivers :frowning: Sony is really sucking out with there so called Flagship Reciever line! If this is a flagship Reciver Line up it's sinking fast. Do yourself a favor and listen to both before you buy. also a point to make is there power supply is really week on both receivers I would not be surprised at all if they can not drive 8 Ohm speakers with all channels on at 100W.....
Now let me stress this again I am not saying they sounded bad BUT for the money of the 7ES you can go DENON and they do sound a lot better on EVERYTHING ! So go take a listen Im sure you will see what I mean ........

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
By far the denon 4803 blew the doors off the Sony with a much more open sound stage and warmer sound....Now let me stress this again I am not saying they sounded bad BUT for the money of the 7ES you can go DENON and they do sound a lot better on EVERYTHING ! So go take a listen Im sure you will see what I mean ........
No offense Anthony, but you sound like another Denon fanboy. With all due respect, I think I'll reserve judgement for another review.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, said:

No offense Anthony, but you sound like another Denon fanboy.
Part of me thought the same thing upon reading Anthony's post. His thoughts of the '4803 aside, it would surprise me if the 'DA7ES really sounded no better than the 'DA4ES. However, I have given him the benefit of the doubt...for now.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I didn't know their was such a receiver as a "4803" either..
BTW, i'm a Denon fanboy. A 5803 fanboy ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip said:
BTW, i'm a Denon fanboy. A 5803 fanboy
Is that right?! Geez, I had no idea. For that matter, I still can't get a read on your feelings about the 'C555ES. I'm sure you have no idea how I feel about the 'C555ES either. We need to show stronger conviction. ;)

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Is that right?! Geez, I had no idea. For that matter, I still can't get a read on your feelings about the 'C555ES. I'm sure you have no idea how I feel about the 'C555ES either. We need to show stronger conviction. "
Ok pal. Let's give it hell the rest of the summer. Lol..
:D

AnthonyS

Auditioning
Sorry my bad guys I meant 4802 lol. And no I am not a RECEIVER type of guy I own Bryston myself :) But I stand behind my review the 7ES sound NO different to me over the 4ES. If I spent 2000.00 dollars on the 7ES I too would WANT to think that mine sounded better than a 1000.00 4ES one lol.
Again Im not here to fight with anyone just LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP !
Tony........

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,
Fair enough. As I said, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. However, I hope you can appreciate our skepticism. Rarely, if ever, does one find a $1000 receiver competing with a $2300 receiver. Also, in my experience, you usually get what you pay for within the Sony ES line. The more you pay, the better the component you get. That is not always the case, but it is often the case. In the past, Sony has differentiated two components only by the remote included and a feature or two. The performance was identical. Examples include the CDP-M333ES and 'M555ES CD megachangers and the older STR-V444ES and 'V555ES receivers. Focusing on the receivers, the 'V444ES and 'V555ES differed in retail price by $200, and the only difference between them was the type of remote included. The "boxes" are identical. However, the difference in retail price was only $200. In comparing the 'DA4ES at $1000 and the 'DA7ES at $2300, the latter should be much better.
Chip said:
Ok pal. Let's give it hell the rest of the summer.
:laugh: Let's do it!

RichardMA

Second Unit
Sorry my bad guys I meant 4802 lol. And no I am not a RECEIVER type of guy I own Bryston myself But I stand behind my review the 7ES sound NO different to me over the 4ES. If I spent 2000.00 dollars on the 7ES I too would WANT to think that mine sounded better than a 1000.00 4ES one lol.
Since most of the digital work being done by these new
receivers is done by the same chip/set, there is no major
reason for them to sound much different. The extra $1000
gets you more features, maybe some better components,
more power and a few other things. But none of them will
radically alter the sound. If someone can do without the
add ons and extra power, that $1000 would be FAR better
spent on better speakers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Guys, please show some respect toward one another. Labelling people fanboys doesn't do anyone any good. Address the topic at hand, and leave out the personal criticisms. If you have something negative to say about someone else, count to ten, back away from the "Submit Reply" button, and move on to another topic.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I might not expect the processing chips (Dolby Digital and DTS decoders and DACs) to be different between the 'DA4ES and 'DA7ES, but I would expect the internal and external build quality to be much better in the 'DA7ES. That better build quality, assuming it is real, should yield significantly better performance in the more expensive 'DA7ES. As you said, the 'DA7ES should have a better power supply, and it should be much better. The fact that Sony rates the 'DA4ES at 110W x 7 and the 'DA7ES at 120W x 7 perhaps suggests that the power supplies are similar. We shall see. Perhaps the 'DA7ES delivers cleaner power. In addition, the 'DA7ES should have better capacitiors, better amps, better everything. If it doesn't, then it will be a real disappointment.

It should be noted that the 'DA777ES from a few years ago, which was an excellent receiver, was rated by Sony at 120W x 5. As I recall, the cheaper 'DA555ES was rated at 110W x 5. On paper, the two receivers looked similar, but I think most here know that there is no comparison between the two receivers. The 'DA555ES was good at its price point, but it was no 'DA777ES.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I have always liked the sound of the ES line of receivers. I have owned a 777ES and a DA5ES - both were excellent! No reason to believe the DA4ES and DA7ES won't be either.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I hope you are right. Did you ever compare the 'DA777ES and 'DA5ES? If so, what were the results?

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
As I recall, a while back, a British mag tested the 777 and a Denon 4802. The rated the Denon just slightly better in stereo but the 777 rated better in HT. You have to wonder if the 5 channel stereo mode of the Denon didn't influence their decision for stereo. The Denon also had a few more features but it cost quite a bit more.

Many have since heard the two together and felt they sounded about the same - except the Sony was better in HT. Better sounding DSPs maybe? The 777 was a real steal at it's price point.

Everyone has their opinion of what sounds better. You really do have to form your own opinion.

If Sony is listing this unit for $2300, I find it hard to believe they would waste their time (and ours) with a product that isn't noticibly better sounding than previous models. Not to mention, they are calling this a flagship receiver.

If it isn't better I'll be keeping my 777 for sure.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The only difference between the DA5ES and the 777ES (besides features and the remote) was that the 777ES amp section was smoother which gave it beautiful music reproduction. The 777ES was truly the best of both worlds. Some even say that the 777ES was an accident by Sony in producing a machine that got everything right. I don't know if there'll ever be another ES unit like it. I hope so w/ the DA7ES. The DA5ES is an extremely competent beast in its own rights, only lacking in the ultra smoothness of the 777ES for music. I used an external amp w/ my DA5ES, so that was a moot point. Movie sound between the 2 were virtually identical. The only reason for a 777ES owner to ditch the machine is if he wanted some of the newer features such as DPL2, DTS:Neo, ect.... Other than that, the 777ES continues to please many today, and no reason to doubt the DA4 and DA7ES will not do the same.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Personally, I feel that the 777ES can be upgraded by firmware to DPL2 and/or possibly DTS:Neo. If they did, I would get one again.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, one would hope that the 'DA7ES will be a flagship receiver given the MSRP of $2300. That said, I understand your point of the 'DA777ES being an accident. For the last two years, Sony has not issued its equal. I had heard this was because the 'DA777ES was so good that it hurt the sales of Sony's separates, the TA-E9000ES and 'N9000ES, which are still available today. Apparently, Sony wanted to position the separates at the high end of its product line with no competition for its receivers. Now Sony has a $2300 receiver in the product range and is supposed to be releasing new separates, the TA-E10ES and 'N10ES.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
The only difference between the DA5ES and the 777ES (besides features and the remote) was that the 777ES amp section was smoother which gave it beautiful music reproduction. The 777ES was truly the best of both worlds. Some even say that the 777ES was an accident by Sony in producing a machine that got everything right.
As a moving on to seperates owner of the 777ES, I could not agree with you more. The 777ES is a quality, balanced piece of equipment that was on the market for a short time period. I still love to listen to the 777ES for two channel and home theater.

Not quite sure what I am going to do with this piece when I finally purchase a pre-pro, but my experience with this quality receiver has been an A+ experience.

I hope that future owners of the DA4 and DA7ES will have the same experience that I did. I almost hate to take the 777ES out of my main system. It's been like an old friend to me the past year.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Charles said:

Not quite sure what I am going to do with this piece when I finally purchase a pre-pro, but my experience with this quality receiver has been an A+ experience.
I'd keep the 'DA777ES if I were you. Sure, you could get some good money for it, but it is a killer receiver that would be worth holding onto. It seems as though Sony is yet to release a receiver that tops it, based on early comments on the 'DA7ES. That's amazing considering we are looking at the third line of ES receivers since the 'DA777ES was discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread