What's new

Just got the new Philips 55PL9773 LCOS... (1 Viewer)

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Skip,

Rest assured, vewing angle is not a problem...for two reasons:

1. I can damn-near stand to the side FLUSHED, and still see the picture.

2. Its on a swivle. You can rotate it ~45(+) degrees either way.

Skip B

Auditioning
Thanks DuWayne. I was pretty well sold on the 55PL9773 but that was my only lingering question. Now, all I have to do is find one!

Dave W.

Auditioning
I purchased a floor model 55pl9773 on Sept. 30 from Tweeter and and it looks great feeding a composite 1080I or composite progressive DVD signal. The only thing I have seen unusual is the red,green and blue images on the left edge of a white vertical object when the object is moving from right to left across the screen. It appears as though it is the image of the RGB prism's as they scan the chip.
The 480I signal feed into the "S" video or composite input looks lousy. Very low resolution and pasty. Looks like the up conversion has some serious issues. I am trying to contact Philips about this now and will keep you posted.
I think the technology blows everything else away that is within reason price wise.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I have seen unusual is the red,green and blue
images on the left edge of a white vertical object when the object is
moving from right to left across the screen
Sounds like the "rainbow" artifact some have asked about...

Glad you like the set!

Dave W.

Auditioning
I stand corrected on the composite versus component.

Reference the rainbow, I noticed a rainbow effect last night. It usually appears as you are glancing away from the screen.
The RGB that appears on the edge of moving white vertical objects is yet another issue.I am sure that this has to do with the way they scan the chip.
I also did some more testing on the lack of resolution with a 480I signal. With an antenna input the picture has some digital processing artifacts resulting in an overall picture quality that is somewhat less pleasing that a good analog set. Using the "S" video output from the Dish Network receiver,the problem is multiplied. I believe that this is caused by the fact that Dish has already compressed the signal to the point that it any additional processing literally destroys the picture.
I have come to the conclusion that if you want to watch standard broadcast (NTSC) you are better off with a NTSC receiver.
After studying the various technologies available and witnessing the warts of all of them we may be a few years away from a truly good device to display HD at a reasonable price. I must retract my previous statement about the Philips Lcos technology blowing away anything else. It is good but it to has many problems that must be resolved. Other technologies have their own inherent problems so I guess for now I just have to accept that the state of the art has not developed to an acceptable level.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

When I go home I will post what my settings are so you can dupe them, and see if this helps. As I only seen this issue with my S-Video connection (Side). Not to say there couldn't be something wrong with your set.

With that said, there is is other news you prob. don't know...

Philips has an Lighting Engine issue with there 1st run of 55PL9773. After finally getting the Right number to call, and many managers later, its official. They are re-engineering the issue, and the new 55PL9773/S will the available ~20 Oct. Philips told me that they will be replacing my set at that time....NOTE: GoodGuys also stated that they will be replacing my set as well. First come, first served.

BUT, I don't believe the issues around thier Light Engine issue is what you are seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks