just got the Gateway Plasma TV!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew*Jones, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

Well,
    I just recieved my Gateway GTW-P42M102 plasma today, and I LOVE IT! I still need to calibrate it (I set everything up to 100 and then worked down from there - is that bad for the set? It was only like that for a minute tops).

Also, can anyone help me get the best calibration for it? For everyone who disses these TV's, your WRONG! This set is great, one of the best pictures I've seen. The blacks do have a little trouble (common to plasma's), and I can't stand the "buzzing" noise the TV makes, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Anyway, just thought I would post my impressions and ask for help in calibrating it.

Thanks,
    Andrew Jones

2. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

I'd definitely recommend getting a calibration disc (AVIA or Video Essentials) and learning how to use it. Starting at 100s and working down is almost inevitably going to mean they are set way higher than they need to be. Nothing is a substitute for actual calibration-- ISF if possible, by yourself if not...

Me

3. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

what does ISF mean?

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Andrew, The buzzing noise is likely due to your elevation in the "Mile High City". This is a known problem with many plasma TVs at high elevation. There is probably nothing that can be done about it, so I would suggest that you decide if it's something you can live with before your return period is up. If you look at the specifications in the manual it might give an altitude limit, as many others do.
    The above is assuming that you are not talking about fan noise.

5. Andrew*Jones

Andrew*Jones Extra

No its definitly not fan noise. I can deal with it, its not a big deal, I just have to get used to it. So far, I am loving this tv, I can't wait to get it calibrated correctly, but even without AVIA, the picture is great.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on the purchase! I have heard nothing but good things from my clients who have purchased them! I'm not a tech but the humm you hear is probably from the higher elevation.

7. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Andrew, Please don't take me wrong, I don't want to come into your thread spouting gloom and doom, or pi$$ing around the picnic area. :b I just don't want you to get the short end of the stick on any aspect of your new purchase. If the buzzing sound is elevation related you might want to look into a few things and be sure you are comfortable with everything before any return period you may have is over. I have no idea what your altitude is, just that you are in or near Denver so it could be quite high. I have no knowledge if elevation related noise issues get worse over time or not, or what affect elevation has on lifespan.
    Take a look at this thread on AVS, with attention to Jeff St John's post regarding warranty issues.
    Link
    Gateway gives an operating specification on their site of 800-1114hpa for that TV.
    That's in hectopascals of pressure, same as millibars. Basically, the standard atmospheric pressure at the Earth's surface is 1013.25 millibars. The pressure drops about 1 millibar for each 8 meters of altitude gain.
    So, if you are near 1600 meters (5280ft) that would put you right on or over that 800hpa specification that Gateway gives (1013-200=813)