Just got the Denon1600, now some questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_T, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Hello,
    I have been updating my HT now for the past year and it was finally time to upgrade from my old Sony non-progressive dvd player to a player with progressive scan. I decided on the Denon 1600 after much research here and some other places. It came down to this unit and the Pioneer 45a, but seeing as the 45a appears to have the chroma bug, and sacd wasn't all that important to me at this point, I went with the Denon. I am running it with a Sony 43HT20 (43" 4:3 RP HDTV with 16:9 enhanced mode), a Denon 2802 and Parasound 885 amp. My initial impressions of this unit are very good. Both an upgrade in picture quality and in sound. But I have some questions now regarding the setup. With my old setup, I had my sony dvd player set to 16:9 and then the tv's 16:9 enhanced mode would kick in so I would get the proper aspect on my 4:3. So I hooked up the 1600 (using component cables), set it to 16:9, pressed the progressive button on the front of the unit to "on", but the aspect is wrong now (smaller black bars on top and bottom). If I turn off the progressive button on the front of the unit, the correct aspect returns, but does this mean I'm not getting progressive scan??? Another thing, my tv usually only has 2 modes for 16:9 enhanced viewing, AUTO or ON. I leave it on AUTO so that when I watch normal tv, the ratio is corrected. When I turn on the progressive button on the 1600, my tv menu changes as well and my choices for 16:9 enhanced viewing are now either ON or OFF and it has defaulted to OFF. Now if I turn it to ON, the ratio is now correct for dvd's, but normal tv viewing is scrunched.

So I guess my question is, do I need to go into the tv menu every time I want to watch a dvd to set the 16:9 to ON in order to get the correct aspect, or should I just leave it on auto and turn off the progressive button on front of the player. Or further yet, should I set the player to play in 4:3 mode instead of 16:9? I thought I had a grasp of the whole aspect ratio concept from my readings on this forum and other websites, but now I'm second guessing those assumptions. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Phil

2. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

I don't know why you would want to set the DVD player to ouptput a 16:9 signal; you could get the correct ratio by simply having it output a 4:3 signal (letterbox), your TV will then simply take that signal and show it to you...

If anything, using your present configuration might compromise pitcture quality, because (and I'm only saying this with a BIG maybe) the ratio adjustment will be made by the TV in analog, rather by the DVD in the digital domain. I don't think there would even be a picture quality decrease, by why chance it?

I cannot see the advantage of using your solution, or am I simply short-sighted?

I'm looking forward to the day where 16:9 will be the de facto standard for everyone...

3. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I have the player set up for 16:9 to activate the tv's 16:9 enhanced mode. Thats where the tv wont send any information to the normal top and bottom black bars and uses the savings to enhance the 16:9 field. Maybe my problem is that progressive scan doesn't work with 16:9 enhanced mode. I'm still fiddling with it and the owners manual isn't that helpful either.
    Phil

4. Mike Capulli

Mike Capulli Stunt Coordinator

If the TV wont display progressive video in 16x9 Enhanced mode will the CineMotion inverse 3:2 pulldown feature still function? If it wont then it probaly wont do progressive in 16x9 enhanced mode at all. Perhaps this feature is somehow interfering with your progressive signal.

I know that my Sony hidef widescreen set disables Cinemotion when fed a progressive signal.

BTW - what is the price on the 1600 now? I was planning on getting one a few months ago...

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    From what I understand the 4x3 RPTV's won't squeeze automatically with a progressive signal only interlaced. You have to do it manually. I have a new sony direct view HDTV and when I heard that the Sony RPTV's didn't squeeze automatically I thought maybe the direct views were the same and I was quite dissapointed but when I finally got my PS DVD player panasonic CP72, I was quite pleased when I found it actually did auto squeeze a progressive signal.

If you have an advanced remote with macros you can set one up to do the squeeze with 1 push of a button. It's well worth the effort even if you have to buy a new learning remote with macros.