Just got the ATI All-In-One 7500 and...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan M~, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Tonight I will install the board then I'm ready to capture some family VHS and burn a VCD. My system is a P4 1.6MHz, 256DDR Ram, running Win98. Can someone give me a cookbook listing for best settings for capturing these home videos and burning a VCD? Any help/guidance will be appreciated!!
    TIA, [​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You're probably going to limited to recording in the MPEG-1 format (vs. uncompressed AVI mode - which takes up lots of disk space, like 1GB/minute), so start with that setting (it's the native format for VCD anyway.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Dan,
    If you download the newest drivers & software from ATI there is a preset in the ATI multimedia center 7.7 for VCD AND SVCD capture. I have an 8500DV so I would be happy to help you out if you have any other questions.
    VCD Help has also proven to be a fantastic resource for me when it comes to capturing/converting/and burning video.

4. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Patrick and Jason thanks.

I have been to VCD help and they seem a bit outdated when referencing driver updates. Plus they send you all over the place to shareware etc. I want to keep it simple, yet have a good final product.

Jason-

Should I just load the drivers that came with the card (and then download any updates)? If I understand you, the ATI software will allow me to capture the video, what is the best format AVI, mpg1, mpg2, etc. I want to get the best capture as this is to archive these old family tapes (as well as share copies with my family). I have a 40 Gig drive (7200 rpm) ready to capture to. I will then burn VCD/SVCD from there. Any other problems I might encounter along the way?

Thanks again for the help.

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Dan-

I would install the drivers and software from your installation CD and then immediately download the updates from the ATI site.

As far as archiving is concerned....
    Uncompressed AVI will give you the best quality, but it does take up quite a bit of space. You might try the other presets and see which format will work best for your particular system.

Here are the steps that I use for archiving:

*Capture video at 640X480 in AVI format using ATI Multimedia Center or VirtualDub.

*Convert video to mpeg (for VCD) or mpeg-2 (for SVCD) using TMPGEnc.

*Burn VCD or SVCD using NERO burning Rom.

This works well for archiving raw (unedited) video to VCD or SVCD

6. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Dan,

If you use the ATI MMC and uncompressed AVI for your captures then you will run up against the 4 gig limit pretty quick since your running Win98. I have not found anywhere in MMC to capture using multiple files. VirtualDub allows capturing to multiple files.

As for the drivers, I would download and install since the recommendation from ATI is to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new drivers. ATI's uninstall routine leaves bits and pieces lying around.

Alan

7. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Thanks to all that responded.

HELP

Started loading last night and what a nightmare!! I'm completly locked out of my machine. No drivers will load (I get an error in msgsrv.dll (?) with every attempt to load drivers during boot-up). I've used safe mode and tried to add/remove the ATI drivers, but get an error that there is something wrong with the uninstall for these drivers. I tried to reload window hoping to overwrite any corrupted windows drivers. On the final restart after the hardware detection I get the same errors and the system will not load. In safe mode I can access the sytem for a few minute then it locks-up.

Next attempt will be to reformat and start from scratch.

My System is an:

ASUS P4B533 M/B with P4 1.6MHz CPU
    (on board sound and Lan, connected to cable modem)
    256 DDR
    80 Gig HD (Partitioned to 2 - 40 Gig drives)
    Phillips CD-R writer
    250 Zip drive (internal)
    Running Win98 SE
    and the damn ATI AIW 7500

It's been rock solid up to now.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: BTW I did install the DirectX 8.1 prior to the ATI drivers.

8. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    The newest ATI drivers need to be installed OVER THE TOP of the old drivers. This is a new thing with the newest drivers, all previous driver updates indicate an uninstall of previous drivers.

Dan,

When you reinstall Windows allow Windows to install the generic VGA drivers and then install the ATI drivers. Also, if you have onboard video, disable it in the BIOS if you haven't already done so. You might also look for the newest BIOS and drivers for your board.

GOOD LUCK!

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dan, I had the same problem with an OEM Radeon 7500 card. Maybe it's just Win98, I dunno. Try going back 2 driver versions, worked for me

10. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Hi All,

Well I have most everything loaded and working. I installed the drivers that came with the card. I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI (wme-radeon-4-13-01-9039-efg.exe) and the instructions say to remove the existing drivers using windows add/remove then install the new drivers. I've had it for tonight and will tackle this later. My current drivers are 4.13.7202 dated 11/22/01. Any guidance on what the changes are? Do I need to install these? Any help would be appreciated.

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

12. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I apologize for being a moron. You do uninstall the drivers, I was thinking of the software. :b

13. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Good morning to all,
    JasonP: Believe me, I am the moron!:b Just look at my questions below...
    Ken: Slow down, you've lost me! [​IMG]
    I have the ATI drivers that came with the card installed (and I get the ATI launch pad bar)
    I have loaded DirectX 8.1
    What is the MMC 7.7? How do I check what release I have?
    When I update the drivers (from the 11 meg Catalyst download) do I just un-install the drivers, or do I need to un-install all the software?
    Once I get the card ready to run I'll be back with questions on the Dongle (?) cord interface and if I need to connect to the sound card etc... but first things first.
    Thanks again for your patience everyone... sorry I've still have a ways to go.

14. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Dan-

If you used the installation CD I believe it installs everything (drivers and software) all at once if I remember correctly.

You can tell which version MMC you are running my opening the TV using the taskbar. It'll say TV vers 7.6 or some such thing.

If you haven't already, you should update the WDM (capture) drivers when you update MMC. This should all be on the ATI drivers page. I'll take a look at the '98SE drivers and see if you might have to do something different than what I am doing in XP.

15. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    oops...

You might have to uninstall the MMC version that came on your disc and install 7.6 to upgrade to 7.7.

16. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

OK here's what I have sofar
    From looking at the ATI drivers page here:
    My cook book for the install looks like ths (w/ restarts assumed between all steps):
    1. Load OEM drivers/software from CD that came with board (DONE)
    2. Uninstall the driver, return to Standard VGA driver in Windows
    3. Load Catalyst Driver 4.13.01.9039
    4. Load Capture Driver 6.13.10.6125
    5. Check MMC version
    6. Load MMC 7.6 if required
    7. Load MMC 7.7 upgrade
    8. Pray I've made it this far [​IMG]
    Then I'll be back to bother you about the Dongle and connections. Let me know if you see anything I'm missing or need to consider.
    Thanks again for your help.

17. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

18. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Ken-

Help...

I was following your recipe and was to the step of loading the driver. The install stopped and asked for the original install CD, wich I loaded and then it said it could not find "ati9xwdm.cat" file. I reloaded and browsed the CD and still it could not find the file... so I took the "Skip this file" option and finished the reload. Seems to be working, but I hesitate to load the 7.7 update... I guess I'll give it a try but I'm afraid of future "bugs" do to the missing file. Any Ideas?

19. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

First, let me make clear that I have an 8500, not a 7500. However, the driver sets seem very similar.

ati9xwdm.cat is part of the Capture drivers, under the WDM_9x directory. All the drivers should be self-contained; only the MMC 7.7 update depends on 7.6 actually being installed.

Check the extracted directory for the Capture drivers, and see if it contains the file. If you find it, uninstall and reinstall again.

I suppose it's possible that the install package got screwed somehow. I dunno what the file does; I'd guess that it lists the capture drivers, so if it doesn't find them, they don't get installed. You can go to the Device Manager and check whether stuff like "ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec" is installed (under sound/video/multimedia/codecs -- not sure where that is in Win98) and "working properly".

//Ken

20. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Ken, Jasen, Patrick and everyone watching-

I went ahead and finished loading the MMC 7.7 and everything seems to be working (so far).

I connect my VHS-C cam corder to the to the "input" adapter (Dongle?) and added the "output" adapter to route the sound to the video card. I can now watch my tapes on the PC monitor using the TV module. Looks like I am ready to capture some video.

Since I am capturing a VHS quality output (composite), what would be the best setting for a small file size without any additional quality drop? I will be burning VCD's to store the material after capture, so I'll grab