Just Got The 40H80 and I'm confused ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Mar 7, 1999
    ... is there supposed to be a big hole in the middle of the screen? just kidding.
    I'm confused about the Theater Wide mode vs. Full Mode. When I'm watching an anamorphic DVD, I'm supposed to use Full Mode? And when I'm watching a non-anamorphic DVD, it's one of the Theater Wide modes?
    The manual seems to say that Theater Wide is the way to watch widescreen DVDs. But now I'm reading that Full is the way to go for anamorphic.
    Also, are there any good web pages that are good reference for the 40H80 or the TheaterWides in general? It might save me alot of time and even more stupid questions in this forum. [​IMG]
  2. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

Feb 11, 1999
    You want to use "Full" for anamorphic DVD's. For non-anamorphic DVD's you will want to use "Theater Wide 2". If you have a DVD player that scales like the RP91 you can leave it in full all the time.
    Full - Squeezes the picture. Nothing is cut off.
    TW 1 - Cuts off a bit of the top and bottom, then stretches the left and right sides of the picture a lot and the center a little.
    TW 2 - Cuts off a lot of the top and bottom. Great for letterboxed TV as well as non-anamorphic DVD's.
    TW 3 - It cuts a medium ammount off the top and bottom and uniformly stretches the picture horizontally. I prefer this for most TV.
    Hopes this helps!
    [Edited last by Ryan Pream on July 12, 2001 at 06:13 PM]
  3. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Jan 10, 2001
    Congrats on the new set! I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. Ryan has given you some good advice on the various modes, but spend some time trying them and decide what you like best.
    As for website to check out you'll want to visit at least the following:
    - excellent Toshiba "Tips & Tweaks" section
    - Chris White's website with yet more "Tips & Tweaks" for the 40H80
    And if you can't find what you need there feel free to post your questions here. You'll find many 40H80 owners who will be happy to help you out.
    [Edited last by Chip_Slattery on July 12, 2001 at 07:32 PM]