What's new

Just got setup my Denon 1802...quick question!! (1 Viewer)

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I just setup my Denon 1802 (my first receiver). I'm using a 27" RCA TV that comes with composite jacks only. I've hooked up my DVD player (a PS2) to the receiver using s-video and an optical cable for audio. In order to get the picture from the s-video out on my receiver, I had to use a s-video-to-composite converter (I realize that cancels out the benefit of the s-video but it's the only way I can connect it to my TV). Anyway, I used the audio composite jacks on my TV to connect with the TV/DBS audio-in composite jacks on the back of my 1802, just as the manual suggested.
My question is, how do I get audio from my TV out to my speakers? I'm able to play movies and listen to the radio, but I get nothing with TV input. I have the feeling that I'm missing something incredibly obvious, but I'm at a loss. Please help this HT newb :frowning:
Thanks
John

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Are you sure you're using the audio outs? There are commonly two pairs of audio plugs on many sets. Also, if the only audio source from your PS2 is an Optical you will need to run a composite analog as well. You are essentially asking your receiver to pass a digital sound source without any digital input on your TV.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for responding Paul. There is only one set of composite jacks on my TV and they are on the front of the set. Does this mean that I can only use them for input? The TV was a gift and I just assumed that most TVs came with the capability of A/V in and out...I'm still pretty green when it comes to HT. I just wanted to be able to listen to TV on my HT speakers instead of through the TV itself. Anyway, am I S.O.L? Thanks again, John

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
If the only jacks you have are front mounted (usually input) and the back only has a coax/antennae connection, I'm sorry but you are S.O.L. I used a similar setup as you would like for a long time (during the entire surround/pro-logic era) but was fortunate enough to have had a set (still do) with variable audio in/out and S-Video (Thank God). Sorry.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks...that was the answer I was dreading. Anyway, looks like it's time to start saving for a decent set...seems like kind of a waste of the money I have already spent on the receiver and speakers if I can't use them when watching the tube. Thanks again, John

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
John I think I can help.

If you have VCR with audio output then your set. Run the RCA cables from the VCR's audio output to the TV/DBS input. If you don't have any audio outs on your vcr then like Paul said your SOL until you buy a new TV.

Let me know.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Greg, great idea...if only I had a VCR :frowning: However, a VCR is probably a cheap alternative to a new TV. Thanks

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
John,
The VCR purchase would be the cheapest way to allow your TV sound to be sent to the Denon. I would at getting a VCR. Especially since you got DPLII and your not even using it for TV.
DPLII rocks :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
John, you can get a decent VCR for less than $100 these days (closer to $80), so definitely go out and pick one up and then do what everyone else suggested and run the the audio out from there to the receiver. You can also run the composite video out to the receiver. To watch tv, you'll need to put the tv on "Input" and then turn the vcr on and set it to the channel you want to watch and turn the receiver on and put it on the "tv/sat" input.

good luck,

--tom

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone, great suggestions...one of the reasons I've come to love this site. I've actually been looking at VCRs online for the past hour and I would have to agree that that would be a great investment...considering I spent $800 on the receiver and speakers. I'll have to put that purchase ahead of the Audiotron I've had my eye on. Anyway, thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks