What's new

Just Got Radio Shack Sound Meter - Couple of Questions (1 Viewer)

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
1. What audio set up CD or DVD should I use to make the proper settings and where might I get it?
2. It would seem that when adjusting the sub woofer level(HSU VTF2) I could adjust either by the the volume control on the sub or using the "levels settings" on the reviever. Is there a strategy or suggestion on the best way to set the sub level?
3. The HSU sounds a tad boomy. I know it could be location, but before I go moving it around, does it need to be broken in first and that might account for some of the boominess? TIA
Regards, Nick

Randy L Roozeboom

Auditioning
Avia, Video Essentials, test tone generator from preamp or receiver are some sources.
Doesn't really matter where you crank the volume for the sub. I leave mine at center point and adjust via the preamp. If I want to turn it up or down a bit, I'll do it with the sub control and return it to the middle position afterward.
The boominess isn't going away after break in. Certainly, play with location, but your room dimensions have more to do with the boom than anything else.
Randy Roozeboom

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
May depend on the sub too. The ones I have tried to calibrate thus far have been very sensitive to how much you moved the volume control, ie difficult to get back to the exact level if you go tinkering with the volume control on the sub itself. That may well be just my experience, not true for all subs.
It just seems more precise to me to set the sub up once with the volume control and the receiver control set to 0. Then if you need to raise or lower the sub output, you can do that with precision - from your seated position via the remote - on the receiver. You'll also be practically assured to get the sub back as exactly as possible to the calibrated level.
Oh, and in addition to the (excellent) disc suggestions from Randy, I should point out that many new DVD's come with built in test tones that can be used for calibration too, THX Optimode.
------------------
/Kimmo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks