What's new

just got new HTPC and need help with res, etc. (1 Viewer)

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys I just got a PC from DELL and I need help with the resolution settings..I am using this thing on my 51" CRT RPTV and I just want to know what I set resolutions to..I guess I use powerstrip to output my res to the TV? can I do 1080i? the max res the graphics card states is 1920x1200 at 75 hz (it is a geforce 5200 128mb) what hz do I set it at for my TV? aren't TV's 60 hz? I will be using DVI from the PC to TV..is there any other programs I should check out as far as using this as my main DVD player? I know I can scale a DVD to 1080i right? thanks for any help..

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Get powerstrip. Start with the preset timings like 1080i or 720p, and tweak from there.

I had to play around with refreshes a little as I was getting dropped frames originally: and sometimes you have to monkey with the vsync and front/back porch settings to get the picture centered and the overscan correct...

Also, just because a tv set does 1080i doesn't mean it's the best option. Many sets can't full resolve this res- and do post processing-- so it's sometimes good to find the native res of the panel (if it's a digital display format with a set pixel structure like LCD, DLP, Plasma) and try feeding it native res video and see what you get.

In my case- the native display was 1024x768- which looked good for the desktop and whatnot-- but feeding it 720p and letting it process the image actually looked BETTER. Although if you look at the desktop all the icons and text and fuzzy- the dvd picture was best at 720p.

-V

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
thanks vince..I have a 51" philips CRT RPTV, so they don't have a native res. like DLP, LCD etc..I am hearing that 1920x1080 res is good for DVD's but 1024x540 is good for desktops and general PC use..overscan seems to be the issue..

thanks again..

also is the FX5200 video card going to be ok for dvd playback? this has me kinda worried cus the bench tests are really poor..i'm thinking I may upgrade to the 9800 pro ATI..

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Dunno- I have always disliked GeForce cards- so I have stuck with ATI. I have an older 7200 LE (passive cooling, no fan = no extra noise)-- and it works well for this-- but I can't say much for the GeForce- haven't used one.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
DVD playback should be ok. If you buy the new NVIDIA ForceWare Multimedia Decoder pack, DVD playback is supposed to be absolutely topnotch - I hear a lot of praise over the playback quality of mpeg2 video over at AVSForum.

With that said, ATI owners there have tried them and it works...just not as good as on a Geforce FX and 6x00 series cards.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the help guys..I have decided to get the radeo 9800 pro though..from research the 5200 is a horrible card (benchmarks) it is slower than the mx440 from 2 years ago..the ATI cards are the best for HT so I hear..anyway I know I would have just been wanting the upgrade as soon as I get the PC, so figured i'd at least have no regrets..

also found the resolution posts at AVS forums and they have been more than helpfull..just hope I can get everything working without a hitch..lol ya right ;)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The benchmarks of the card aren't going to have anything to do with the DVD playing performance.

Although both companies have a couple of technologies that affect multimedia playback, they aren't going to have any correlation with benchmarks.

If you aren't playing games, a 9800 pro is overkill.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
well..I will play older games..i've wanted to play mafia for a long time now..and who knows..now that I have a PC capable of playing good PC games I may get more into them..I know theres a few out there that I want to play, but have been waiting for them to come to the xbox..

also theres an EDID issue with Geforce cards that I hear is messing alot of guys up with their HTPC's..

CRyan

Screenwriter
Historically, ATI has just been the way to go for HTPC. They just seem to take any resolution you throw at them. GeForce was not that way. Maybe this has changed? Anyway, I have a 9600 pro and it has done well. Even played doom3 -Could not turn everything on of course.

Maybe you can find the exact timings for your set that have worked for others. You may get lucky with stock timings, but CRT's can be difficult to get to work properly. When I did this for my CRT a few years ago, before I got LCD, it took quite a bit of experimenting and I was alwyas afraid of sending a timing that would permanently damage the set. Don't get too scared if you send a timing that makes the TV stop reponding. Turning the TV off and on will usually fix it. I think I even had to unplug the TV a few times to get a picture back. If you here any buzzing, turn it off. Anyway, search for timings that people have got working for your particular set or at least the same brand and type. This will get you started. Timings that work for one set might get you a half filled screen on yours. Have a TV monitor close as if you send a timing that the TV does not repond to, you will not be able to see the picture to change it back. This can a be a very frustrating situation where you have to keep plugging it into the Montor and back to the TV. Write the powerstip Hotkeys down so you can do some reverting without doing all the monitor switching.

This was the most frustrating part. Also, a software player that allows twaeking is a must for this. PowerDVD or WinDVD usually will not cut it. You will often get borders around the set with these players or too much overscan. Depends on what timings you get to work stable on your CRT. Theatertek is a great option. There is another that takes more work but is free. I forget the name.

Anyway, have fun.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you're gonna play some games on it, and would consider buying some new games for it, a 9800 pro makes a lot of sense :D

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info Ryan..I just have to wait til I get my DVI cable to set up all the res's..tried with my VGA/component breakout cable but I need to add the V and H sync (my TV has V and H sync inputs) obviously I could not get any res's to work with the 3 component cables because they would not sync..S video doesn't look that bad though considering..

daveGTP..i'm a gamer at heart, so I think i'll have a hard time passing alot of PC games by ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks