Just got my X1 and I have a question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt Madlangsac, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Matt Madlangsac

Matt Madlangsac Auditioning

When calibrating the projector, and I have changed contrast, color, tint, etc, do those settings stay by default when I switch to 480p from my dvd player? I noticed tint and color aren't options when I am using 480p with the VGA to component adapter.

THanks, and as a sidenote, I see rainbows, my wife sees them, my friends see them...wish I had more money for a better projector. This will do for now.

2. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

what kind of screen are you using? i am in the process of getting da lite (luma)high contrast grey screen. They say
    it helps rid the rainbow effect. one other thing how far are you sitting?i was told you should be at least 10 ft.
    i have had no one mention the rainbows to me. i had about
    50 people watching the superbowl and janet. i had it about 14ft from the wall. i still could bot see the rainbows.
    i hope that helps.

3. Matt Madlangsac

I am using a matte white screen with a 1.3 gain. It is 80 inches horizontal and I am viewing from 14 feet. This is a screen that I built myself with projection screen material. Maybe thats the problem. Here's where I saw the rainbows...about 20% of the time during THe Bourne Identity...tons of scenes in Black Hawk Down, and some during Tomb Raider. I didn't see any with Mr. Deeds, Monsters Inc., or Two weeks notice. GOd, I've had this thing for 24 hours and I have been watching it that much. I didn't mention the rainbows to my wife for fear that she would say "save and get a better projector at the end of the year" but she pointed them out to me and wanted to know why it was doing that...then I explained the rainbow effect. I think I am looking for them though and I am preoccupied with seeing them. I need to rent some new movies that I haven't seen so I can focus on the movie itselft rather than the rainbows.

4. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

if you can paint it, try the gray. may be it will help. it is worth the try[​IMG] . good luck

5. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

When I first got my X1 (in July) I saw LOTS of rainbows, I was very unhappy. Now I rarely ever see them. Even in scenes with a lot of rainbow potential I never see them. The same goes for my girlfriend. She used to see them but never does now. I had read that this could happen and didn't really believe it but it turned out to be true (for us at least). I'm using a 80x45" Dalite HiPower screen sitting about 13' back.

I'm not positive about your first question, but I would think the answer is no. I bet if you change one of the settings to be way off (so you could really see it was off) and then swiched to the VGA input, the image would be back to "normal". I'm don't know why they decided to do this.

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I noticed some options stripped out via the VESA adapter (pumping in 480p from a Panny CP72 DVD player) - sharpness, etc.

I see a lot of rainbows too. There are a couple of cheap 4x RGBRGB projectors just emerging - Optoma H30 is available now (MSRP is $1399 I believe), and getting multiple glowing reviews from the folks on avsforum. Dell has it (see if you can snag a coupon deal on it and you could probably get it as cheap as $1100).

I pre-ordered the new Infocus 4805 HT projector - updated X1 - widescreen DLP chip, 4x RGBRGB wheel. MSRP is rumored to be $1399. I pre-ordered it from Crutchfield for $1299. (Returning my X1 before that). You might even be able to do cheaper as it actually becomes available - keep an eye out!

7. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Calibrate colour and tint using the s-video input, save this setting in one of the user presets, switch to computer input and load that preset, tweak brightness and contrast and save again.

8. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Dave,

Where did you find the skinny on the 4805? I looked at Crutchfield but couldn't find anything.

9. Matt Madlangsac

I have 20+ hours on the projector in 3 days and I am actually seeing less rainbows. Also the screen material I am using is increasing the rainbow effect. I projected the image on my off white wall and I saw less.

I still like the projector and I got it for $899.10 shipped from Dell so I am going to stick with it for a year. Next year I will upgrade to something with a 4x color wheel if the prices come down a bit. Im just a poor college student...

10. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I got the info from someone on AVSforum who was hunting around. You have to call in via the 1-800 number and ask if you can pre-order it; the personnel seem to know about it (no problems here).

11. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator

I called Crutchfield and asked about pre-ordering of a 4805. In the beginning he corrected my "pre-order" with "backorder" and then said the 4800 was in stock. The rep said he knew nothing of the 4805, not in the computer, and they actually only just started carrying the infocus brand? The 4800's price is $1299, I hope there wasn't any real confusion with any of the pre-orders made for a 4805 thinking people were asking to backorder a 4800. Or maybe the rep just wasn't in the know.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

My order shows Infocus 4805, status backordered. Double check your order information when you get the email. You must have gotten a less knowledgeable CSR.

13. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator

Your right, with as many people that have said that they have pre-ordered, there's no way that the "Are you sure about this?" question wasn't asked. :b I want one I want one