1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got my Tempest enclosure... some questions!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kriefall, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Just received my 122L sealed Tempest enclosure from Acoustic Visions yesterday. Looks quite nice!

Questions:
    1) I'll pick up some poly-fill from Walmart. When I put that in the box, should I simply stuff it in and not worry about it further? Or should it be glued to the sides of the cabinet? I've found some conflicting information about this.

2) Best way to mount the driver?
    From my searches, the most common method seems to be with t-nuts and bolts. However, I've come across posts from knowledgeable people who instead suggest the use of threaded inserts and bolts... so I'm leaning towards that, probably with 1/4x20 inserts and 1/4" x 1-1/2" bolts. But since the cabinet is already assembled, I'm uncertain whether I'd encounter any problem installing the inserts.

2. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I stuffed my AudioSource sub a few years ago and left the polyfill loose with no problems.

As for mounting the sub on my dual Tempest I just pre-dilled the holes and used wood screws and tightend by hand. Unless you plan on removing the driver frequently plain old screws will work fine if NOT over-tightened to strip out the hole.

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Ditto Mike on the polyfil. I think glue is needed for batting but not usually the loose stuff. Don't forget to use some type of seal such as weatherstriping around the opening. Purists will insist on T-bolts but wood screws are fine unless you like to change things internally on occasion. Any screw has the potential of backing out over time.

4. Karl FS

Karl FS Extra

where can I find the polyfill at walmart? is there a specific name/band to look for? thanks for the help.

5. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

IIRC: Ployfil is the name brand of a polyester fiber filling for pillows. It is in the fabric department at WalMart. Yeah, yeah, I know... If any ask while your there tell them its for your wife! [​IMG]

Ronnie

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I highly recommend you use a caulk or weather stripping seal around the driver and port. I thought I had screwed mine down well enough yet during some sine sweeps (And LOTR) I noticed some chuffing noises where air was seeping in and out of a crack between the driver and the panel.

Create A craft is the big brand at Walmart in the fabric section. There's also one other brand which I forgot that's basically the same polyester fiber fluff.

I went to walmart and bought 30 feet of white burlap, 30 feet of 1/2" polyester batting and like 10lbs of polyfill.

The woman asked me what I was doing and I told her I was making acoustic treatments to make my home theater sound better. She just looked at me funny so I asked her what do customers normally use burlap for. She said burlap sacks for rice/grain/vegetation. Where's the fun in that?

7. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit