What's new

Just got my SVS subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my SVS last night. I hooked it up pretty easily. The thing sounds awsome. Watched Disney's Dinosaur and I thought I was the one being chased by the predators. My neighbors said they were in awe of the bass coming from my house. They were sitting outside, windows were open when I was testing it before watching the movie. I told them I would be happy to set up thier home theater. I love spending other peoples money. It is more fun then mine, no guilt factor. So I got a question. Anyone have any suggestions of movies that I can use to really see the performance of this subwoofer? Let me know, I got a new toy and I have to play with it.
Thanks
Mike
------------------
Michael Witko
Let's meet sometime. Denver, Co Home Theater Meet
email: [email protected]

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The Haunting is said to have lots of background LFE that would be a good shake-out movie.
A lot of people like the opening chapter of Toy Story , or the walk-through-the-train-station chapter of unbreakable.
But before you know it, that SVS will find bass hidden in other movies that you just did not know was there.
Have fun with the new toy. :)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Mike, sounds like you're one happy person! :)
Check out ID4, the 1st hour and the last 20 minutes will shake your teeth loose. Also try End of days, 6th day, The Mummy(DTS), U571(DTS), Saving Private Ryan(DTS)
Tomorrow Never Dies, check out the opening 10 minutes. There are some very loud explosions I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Anyway, there are many more to list so I'll let some other members add to the list. Have fun with your new sub Mike! :)

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Theres plenty that "knock your socks off"
The Matrix - Helicopter Machine Gun scene and the fight scene in the dojo
Blade - the whole beginning part (after the birth of Blade)
TS2 - Opening credit and opening Buzz Lightyear scene
Unbreakable - Train Scene
Dragon The Bruce Lee Story - When the Bruce Lee character punches throught the block of ice
The Haunting - Coming Mother Scene
Titan AE - Breaking Ice Scene
Apollo 13 - Blast off scene
U571 - Depth Charge Scene
SPR - Opening battle and ending battle
What you particularly like (which has already been said) is how the SVS "finds" more like exposes bass you never knew was there. I think that is something I have come to enjoy more with using the SVS than the "feel the bass" factor you get as well.
Enjoy it!!
Greg

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
TITAN AE!! I don't have any other disk that comes close to the amount of low bass energy throughout the movie.
Ryan
------------------

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
I gotta get Titan AE. I watched it once at friends house and loved it. Just keep putting it off cause my list of to buys is way too long. Thanks for all the sugestions. There are some there that I have not watched in a while and look forward to checking out with my SVS. I checked out the beginning of Tomorrow Never Dies and I can't believe how many awsome explosions are in that one. It is going to be a fun Saturday night hanging out with the SVS.
Thanks again
Mike
------------------
Michael Witko

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Just make sure to invite some friends over while watching because the look on their faces is just as much fun as hearing the bass yourself.
Greg

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Thanks for the thumbs up. As mentioned, you'll start to hear bass you just didn't know was there before.
The most shocking movie I've seen lately in terms of ultra low and ultra loud bass was "Fight Club". Not a movie for everyone but talk about bass.
Another sleeper in this regard was "The Professional"; there is some synthy stuff in there that'll have you blowing your favorite drink through your nostrils if you aren't careful.
I second all the above recommendations too, especially the intro and first 5 min. of Toy Story 2. That's a continuous bass demo for several scenes there. Check out the listings on our FAQs page for some other ideas.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faqs.htm#moviedemos
Ron

Gruson

Second Unit
Congrats. Good sub.
I still prefer Paradigm but SVS subs are nice.
Did you have a problem with it bottoming out at all?
I love bass :)
Enjoy the sub!!!!

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Gladiator-whichever chapter has the chariots, or the very first chapter with the battle in the woods. Both are pretty incredible.
Sean
------------------
"My girls won 10 out of 11. And the 11th was won by a deaf mute. You can't beat that."

DanR

Supporting Actor
If you can find the new pressing of Jurassic Park DTS, that should give your SVS quite a workout.
For information on the new JP DTS, check the software forum.
Regards,
Dan

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am really having a lot of fun with this sub. I am starting to worry about the paint falling off the walls in my house. The thing shakes things up pretty good. Watched Close Encounters Last night and when the mother ship passes is over it really pushes the sub. Never heard that before on the soundtrack. After watching last night I have a couple of questions. How does everyone have thier amps set? Mine is set as high as it can go and I am just using the reciever to set the level on the subwoofer channel. I am wondering if I should have the amp turned down a bit though. There is quite a lot of bass and I am worried about the sub a little. It has yet to bottom out but the house is shaking quite a bit on intense bass parts of the movie. Second. I don't have Jurassic Park DVD yet and I want to get it. I know this has been covered elsewhere but I am a little lazy. How do I know that I got the corrected version of the DTS disk?
Thanks for everything.
Mike :P
------------------
Michael Witko

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Mike:
The corrected DTS DVD version of JP has this on the top security sticker:
Jurassic Park (WS)(DTS)
Also, one way to double check once you've bought this disc is to pop it into a DVD-ROM drive and look at the properties (right click) of the files in the Video_ts folder. They will have a date of November 14, 2000 or later on it.
Dan

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Mike...
Which make of SVS do you have? PC or CS?
I have the 20-39PC with my sub amp volume at about 70% and calibrated from there in the receiver. After a couple weeks of listening...this works best in my listening area.
Also, musically...."The Blue Man Group's" new DVD-A album is UNREAL with an SVS sub!!!! You don't need a DVDA player to take advantage of it either. The DD or DTS tracks sound incredible, too.
All percussion, precise bass, HUGE sound. Get a chance, pick it up...I bought mine at amazon.com
Welcome to the club :) Isn't it amazing what's been missing all this time?
Jeremy

Jin E

Second Unit
I'm suprised no-one mentioned an old favorite in Lost in Space (opening battle scence). This goes just about as low as you can go... real great stuff to reference too.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
I have the CS sub. Just watched the Matrix and the sub performed beautifully. Can't believe the bass that I never heard before in that movie. Thanks for more suggestions. I got over 100 DVDs that I am going to have to watch again. Should get Die Hard tomorrow and I think I am going to check out Lost in Space next. I have not watched it in a while but I do remember the opening battle scence being pretty awsome. This thing is incredible.
------------------
Michael Witko

Max Payne

Agent
Here are some verry good movies that have lots of DEEP LOUD bass.
If your looking for loud bass here are some movies.
#1 Antz
#2 Supernova
#3 The Perfect Storm - this movie has lots of loud bass that hits HARD
#4 Hanibal - this movie is not out yet but the theatrical trailer when it's showing the print it has LOUD bass
#5 ULB cd has about 120 tracks that have separate test tones for each frequencys the best is the 25 to 50Hz rumble track it has SUPER DUPER LOUD BASS
-----------------------------------------
For deep stuff here are some movies
Blade
U-571
Toy Story 2
Titan A.E
ID4
The Matrix
Event Horizon
---------------------------
Dont forget to rent alot of movies that have lots of space ships or fighter jets with that stuff you will get lots of deep deep bass for the space ship stuff and for the jet fighters you will get the LOUD ear piercing bass which sounds cool
dont forget to watch Armagedon with Bruce Willis that movie was ment for bass
----------------------
Have fun with your new sub you LUCKY S.O.B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks