Just got my SVS PB12 ISD!!! *sigh*

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Elijah, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Elijah

Elijah Supporting Actor

It's here! After much delaying of dropping $400-$500 in to the perfect sub, and many months of lurking around this forum, I have made my purchase of an SVS PB12 ISD. And I couldnt be happier. As with almost everyone elses comments about SVS here at HTF, I have to say that it is beyond my expectations.

I wont claim to be a Subwoofer expert as this is the first dedicated HT Sub that I have had (I know a big jump from bass in the mains to an SVS : ), but I knew what good bass should sound like, and this sub has delivered just that. I will try and give a very basic review because I cant hold back, but this is 100% in laymans terms.

As for the power this sub can deliver, again my refrence point is not in HT subs, but rather in PA. I have setup the PA systems for my church, and youth group and have dealt with several good quality SUB+Amp systems. This sub has is very close to the power we would get running a pair of Eavy 18 Cabinets, off of a 500 Watt amp, and a dedicated crossover. Needless to say, I am highly impressed.

The first thing that you notice, is rather what you dont notice. Not once have I heard resonance, or boom coming from this sub. I used LOTR FOTR Prolouge as one of the test scenes, and the depth at which this sub is hitting peak volume levels is incredible. You are able to feel the floor moving beneath you as things are hitting the ground. And no this is not shotty construction, but rather the "hard hittingness" that this sub is able to deliver.

I am more than pleased, and cannot wait for Christmas day as I know I am getting a SPL Meter, and hopefully AVIA as well.

The only "gripe" if you could call it that, is the size. It sure isnt for the faint of heart, and makes a pretty noticable imprint in a medium sized room. However when my room is "finished" it will be the only peice of HT equipment in the open, and I think that my wife can live with that.

Right now my setup is a Denon 3805 receiver, and a Sony 777ES 400 Disc player. I plan on starting my thread about my HT project soon, as I have been compiling pictures of the progress in my room, and the equipment setup. I just couldnt wait to post my "SVS Finally Here" post, and join the very proud club of satisfied customers.

2. Tingwe

Tingwe Stunt Coordinator

elijah,
    i was in a similar situation as you were, only using my mains. although i don't have a PB12, i did get my hands on my PB10 abt a month ago and realized what i've been missing all this time, after watching Nemo, Haunting, Matrix Revo, Open Range and "I, Robot", et al. the only regret is not having an SVS sub earlier [​IMG]

3. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

do you have any pics of what that sub looks like in your room?
    I think those subs look pretty nuts from appearance. I never heard one but I would really look into getting one of those once i get my HT setup going.

4. Elijah

Elijah Supporting Actor

Mike,

You bet I do, framed on my desk at work next to my kids pictures : )

When it arrived, I was so excited I had my wife open it up over the phone, and tell me what it looked like, the sound of sheer horror in her voice told me it was pretty big, but once we got it out of the box, and into the room, it is more reasonable.

I will take a couple of pictures in relation to a CD, the sofa, and my SUV : ) to give it some perspective.

I recently saw here on HTF exactly what you are looking for, but with another model, the dual driver, triple port version of the PB12, possibly the ultra as im not too familiar with all of the model names. Do a search for PB12, and you will prob find it pretty easy.

As I said I will be starting my ongoing "Hey take a look at my HT" post soon, and will definitely have plenty of pictures there.

5. Elijah

Elijah Supporting Actor

Mike,

Here are just a couple of pictures I took tonight of my PB12 for size reference. I know that they arent really showing off much of the room, but I think you can get the idea of how big one of these puppies will be in your room.

Today is the one week anniversary with my SVS, but already I am pretty pleased with it. I am hoping that what others have said proves true, that the longer you listen to one, the more you appreciate the quality of the bass that it is putting out.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Like peas in a pod. You cant have one without the other : )
    **EDIT** Looks like they killed this one, too many hits in the testing area. **EDIT**
    [​IMG]

This shot puts it in a little better perspective.
    [​IMG]

I love the integrated amp.
    [​IMG]

Hey, I never said it was small : )
    [​IMG]

It also doubles a great footrest.
    [​IMG]

Note: All of these pictures were taken with my Sony MiniDV camcorder, so sorry about the lame color, and grainyness. The only digital camera in my house is wrapped under the tree for my wife : )

6. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

You're about to lose your dvd into the SVS' port mouth... er I mean port hole.

Hehehehe..

Congrats on the new sub! My PC+ is taking a vacation back at my apartment, I'm back home for now (winter break from med school). Anyway, take a picture of your entire system and post it!