Just got my RSP-1066- initial impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Ballew, May 30, 2002.

1. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

I have not had a lot of time to mess around with it, but here are my first impressions-

Sound:

A tad bit better than the Rotel RSP-976 it replaced. Honestly, the difference is small enough that I am kind of disappointed. The dealer did say he thought the RSP-976's sound quality was on par with the Anthem products he sells- the difference being more features on the Anthem. So from that perspective, if the 1066 is even a bit better, you can guess that it must sound really, really good. And it does. The dealer actually had never heard the 1066 in action- I bought the first one they had received. It was kind of funny- when I bought the unit, they wanted to open it up and take a look for the first time- they were disappointed I bought it so quickly- I think they really wanted to play with it.

Noise floor:

A DEFINITE improvement over the RSP-976. Although I can still here a slight hiss and hum with my ear a couple inches from the speakers. And as you go higher on the volume, there are faint clicks audible, just as on the 976. But in all honesty, this is the quietest pre/pro I have ever had in my system.

Auto-detect:

A BIG disappointment. It is no different in this area from the RSP-976. It is not uncommon at all for beginnings of chapters of DVD's to get lopped off- it also shares with the 976 the same occasional pops and other unpleasant noises experienced during chapter changes.

Other:

Dobly Pro-Logic II is nice- have not tried out DTS Neo yet. I really want to hear this HDCD thing soon, as well. The build quality is outstanding, and the unit is very, very heavy for just a pre-amp- it must have a hefty power supply. I like the adjustable crossover- 60hz works best for my system. I have the black model- it is pretty attractive, but I would have liked the silver. Honestly, I think the front face plate and finish of the RSP-976 is the more attractive of the two compared side by side.

Lastly- I had to drive 250 miles round-trip to get this thing. I hope in the next few days of listening I can decide all that time and effort was worth it. I know this much though- that was the finest home theater store I have ever been in. The best stuff, demo rooms, and by far the most knowledgeable and friendly staff I have ever encountered. If you ever are in Johnson City, TN, check out Mr. Toads Audio/Video.

Cheers

Andrew B.

2. brian a

brian a Second Unit

3. Andrew_Ballew

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Andrew, I would bet the farm that its either your dvd player (most likely) or your 1066 is defective. That is not normal. Look who has another excuse to upgrade? [​IMG]

5. Andrew_Ballew

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I haven't noticed anything too unusual with mine yet. It does sometimes have to re autosense the signal if switching chapters with a DVD but its very quick and not really an issue for me. I'll be spending a lot more time with mine this weekend though so I'll report back should I find anything worth noting.

7. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I was planning on getting the 1066, but after talking with a very good friend of mine who sells rotel, he tells me that it will be very little if any of an upgrade over the 976 (considering I don't plan on using the 6.1 formats).

That was bad news to me, and not what I wanted to hear.

8. Andrew_Ballew