What's new

Just got my RSP-1066- initial impressions (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I have not had a lot of time to mess around with it, but here are my first impressions-

Sound:

A tad bit better than the Rotel RSP-976 it replaced. Honestly, the difference is small enough that I am kind of disappointed. The dealer did say he thought the RSP-976's sound quality was on par with the Anthem products he sells- the difference being more features on the Anthem. So from that perspective, if the 1066 is even a bit better, you can guess that it must sound really, really good. And it does. The dealer actually had never heard the 1066 in action- I bought the first one they had received. It was kind of funny- when I bought the unit, they wanted to open it up and take a look for the first time- they were disappointed I bought it so quickly- I think they really wanted to play with it.

Noise floor:

A DEFINITE improvement over the RSP-976. Although I can still here a slight hiss and hum with my ear a couple inches from the speakers. And as you go higher on the volume, there are faint clicks audible, just as on the 976. But in all honesty, this is the quietest pre/pro I have ever had in my system.

Auto-detect:

A BIG disappointment. It is no different in this area from the RSP-976. It is not uncommon at all for beginnings of chapters of DVD's to get lopped off- it also shares with the 976 the same occasional pops and other unpleasant noises experienced during chapter changes.

Other:

Dobly Pro-Logic II is nice- have not tried out DTS Neo yet. I really want to hear this HDCD thing soon, as well. The build quality is outstanding, and the unit is very, very heavy for just a pre-amp- it must have a hefty power supply. I like the adjustable crossover- 60hz works best for my system. I have the black model- it is pretty attractive, but I would have liked the silver. Honestly, I think the front face plate and finish of the RSP-976 is the more attractive of the two compared side by side.

Lastly- I had to drive 250 miles round-trip to get this thing. I hope in the next few days of listening I can decide all that time and effort was worth it. I know this much though- that was the finest home theater store I have ever been in. The best stuff, demo rooms, and by far the most knowledgeable and friendly staff I have ever encountered. If you ever are in Johnson City, TN, check out Mr. Toads Audio/Video.

Cheers

Andrew B.

brian a

Second Unit
it also shares with the 976 the same occasional pops and other unpleasant noises experienced during chapter changes.
You mean while watching a DVD you get noise as it transitions from one chapter to the next? that's crazy. I'd say take it right back to them.

From the list of issue you're having, I'd say you got a bum unit. I'm not having any of those issues.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
You mean while watching a DVD you get noise as it transitions from one chapter to the next? that's crazy. I'd say take it right back to them.
Occasionally, yes, but it is not easily reproducible. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Hardly ever is it an outright objectionable noise- it is usually just made up of very soft clicks. The worst of it occurs, though, when switching tracks on DTS CD's. Many times the noise is quite shrill and harsh on that medium. Perhaps the most annoying occurrence (this happened on my 976 as well) is when the audio kicks in for a second at the beginning, then drops out for a few seconds, and then kicks back in. Also- sometimes you can skip chapters on a DVD without dropping audio at all, but then again sometimes you skip the same chapters and the beginning gets lopped off. And another place where I have gotten unwanted and perhaps potentially damaging pops and clicks on both processors is the test tone area. Switching test tones sometimes causes a very loud pop.

I am beginning to wonder if the majority of problems might be in my DVD player, since it is another common thread from my previous setup. I need to try a different player just to be sure. I also might try switching from a coaxial to an optical connection, but from previous experience with such switches, I am pretty sure that will do nothing to solve the issue.

Andrew B.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I would bet the farm that its either your dvd player (most likely) or your 1066 is defective. That is not normal. Look who has another excuse to upgrade? :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Andrew, I would bet the farm that its either your dvd player (most likely) or your 1066 is defective. That is not normal. Look who has another excuse to upgrade?
Yes- I am beginning to suspect that. Although I think one more purchase would push some certain family members of mine over the brink. I have already been in all seriousness accused of being mentally ill-haha :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I haven't noticed anything too unusual with mine yet. It does sometimes have to re autosense the signal if switching chapters with a DVD but its very quick and not really an issue for me. I'll be spending a lot more time with mine this weekend though so I'll report back should I find anything worth noting.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I was planning on getting the 1066, but after talking with a very good friend of mine who sells rotel, he tells me that it will be very little if any of an upgrade over the 976 (considering I don't plan on using the 6.1 formats).

That was bad news to me, and not what I wanted to hear.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I was planning on getting the 1066, but after talking with a very good friend of mine who sells rotel, he tells me that it will be very little if any of an upgrade over the 976 (considering I don't plan on using the 6.1 formats).
For the most part I agree. The 976 was a very good processor. The sound of the 1066 is not much of an upgrade over the 976, although my 976 seemed to have an issue with 754kbs DTS decoding. It has a terribly bright and brittle sound on 754kbs DTS. It was unlistenable. It was not an issue with full bit-rate DTS, and is not an issue at all on the 1066.

After continued evaluation of the 1066, I have found that the sound cutoffs are less often and less annoying than I first thought. I don't really seem to be hearing any strange noises lately, either. (Except for when I activate Cinema EQ- it makes a very loud pop when I do so.) But the unit still occasionally cuts off the beginning of programming, and sometimes takes a long time to lock back onto the bitstream during chapter changes. I have decided, though, that it is a great deal improved over the 976 in this respect.

I am still very impressed with how quiet this unit is. It seems like I always have a little bit of noise in my system no matter how many things I try to eliminate it, but right now my system is as quiet as it has ever been. MUCH lower noise floor than the 976.

Another thing I noticed is that calibrating via the internal test tones does not matchup with video essentials calibration. I went back and redid the calibration today via the video essentials routine, and the system has a more natural balance.

I wish this unit had a triple crossover like the Outlaw, because my mains and sub integrate the best at a 60hz crossover point, while my center really seems to need an 80hz crossover for best integration. I still have it set at 60hz though, as this seems to overall offer the best bass setup. As a matter of fact, my subwoofer has never before seemed so naturally intergrated into my system. The 1066 does an excellent job of bass management in all modes. Actually, my Def Tech PF15tl sounds so good now, I have lost the urge to take the plunge on an SVS or the like. Actually, I am probably going to pick up a second PF15tl for experimenting with a dual sub setup.

That is all I can think of at the moment- I will continue to add my thoughts as I gain more experience with the unit.

Andrew B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks