Just got my RCA 38"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory Scott Bass, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

I've been followong the threads on this tv for over a year and have been scared to get it but I always was blown away by the picture quality of this set in the in store demos....34" just was not big enough and I still kinda hate projection tvs even though they have improved...they still can't match a direct view. so when I was offered a brand new yx5 for 1399.00 I just could not hold out any longer. So far the picture is just stunning....I decided not to hook up the directv in this set, instead I hooked up a dishnetwork model 6000 through the component inputs. I am a happy camper....geometry seems almost perfect...I detect just a slight bend in the left side grey bar and maybe just a very slight blue shading in the upper left hand side about a .25 inch in the corner....but it is so slight that I have to really look for it and 90% of the time I can't even find it. Im not sure if there are fixes for those two defects but even if there are not I would keep the set anyway....its just such a beautiful picture. Everything went well with the video essentials disc although I found my contrast looked better a little higher than I would normally have it...about 40%, My sharpness is 1 notch above zero and I am still playing with color because I was running video essentials through s-video and color is a whole different ball game through component, I was also shocked to see my dvd's look like progressive scan component hook ups through s-video.....I mean they look really good....I can't wait to get my component dvd player fixed to compare. I did compare regular analog channels on dishnetwork by swiching back and forth through component and s-video....the verdict is on dishnetwork at least...component wins hands down....noticibly sharper. well thats my mini review.....best hdtv for the money.....perhaps best period.....the only hdtv I have seen that impressed me more was an 8000.00 sony plasma.....but my rca has real blacks

2. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Congratulations on your decision Greg. This unit is continuing to impress folks. Great color! Keep us further informed o.k.?