Just got my Pioneer VSX-D811S....my thoughts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alf S, May 11, 2002.

1. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Well I decided the time had come to give up my Outlaw 1050 in hopes of finding a receiver with a few more bells and whistles that would incorporate itself nicely into our modest home theater living room.
    Don't get me wrong, the Outlaw served me well, but it did have it's limitations and quirks.
    After checking around, I decided on the 811 because of it's nice features to dollar value, and the "expandability" quotiant.
    I put the Outlaw up for sale, and as luck would have it, I made more money from it than what the 811 would cost. I went to a local A/V store and presented a print out showing a much lower internet price, and the guy matched it to the penny [​IMG] (I wanted to stay local in case I didn't like what I heard from the 811).
    Well it's been a couple of days now, and I've had a chance to adjust everything, and I must say it's quite a nice sounding receiver. Sounds great with my Celestions. I'm not going to embelish with the usual HT catchphrases ( i.e. opened up the soundstage, warmer, smoother sounding, blah blah) I just know that it sounds great in DD-EX and DTS-ES modes, and it has a very nice sound when I play CD's or even the tuner. It doesn't appear to strain at all during some extreme DVD scenes.
    About the only "flaw" is that the remote, although very useful, doesn't have a very good range. My seating position is about 16 feet from the TV, and the remote did struggle to send a signal. Thankfully my Sony AV2000 is my primary remote, and it had no trouble at all.
    If you're in the market for an under $400 receiver that has component inputs, DD-EX, DTS-ES, plenty of digital inputs, and a nice universal remote, and lot's more, this is the receiver for you.
    I'm looking forward to testing it out with many more DVD's, but as it stands though, my main viewings will be that of the Disney DVD's and "Bear in the Big Blue House" we got for our little girl. [​IMG]
    Alfer

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Alf, thanks for the report. If possible, read my earlier thread with some comments on the D811S. I had some questions for other people who have picked this receiver up and maybe you can answer them. I'm in the middle of deciding if I'll take it back and try the Onkyo SR600 for the same $$$ or spend more money and get the Denon 2802.

cheers,

--tom

3. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Does it sound as good as your 1050 did? Features look great, but the amp is more important!

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I just got this receiver myself and am liking it a lot. I stepped up from a Kenwood HTB from 2000. The main selling point for me on this was Dolby EX and DTS ES. Very good receiver for price, like the optical input on the front, also like how you can assign the digital and component inputs to whatever you want.

Main beef I have with this is for the 6.1 settings. You have to pick either fixed or auto. Since only Pearl Harbor has the proper EX flags on it, to get Dolby EX you need to set it to fixed, which then turns every 5.1 mix, DD or DTS, into a 6.1. I wish there was a button to change between 5.1 and 6.1 on the fly if you chose to do so.

Other than that, great bang for the buck.

5. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Sean, I agree, it would be nice to have an easier way to switch between 6.1 and 5.1. As best I can tell, one has to enter the display menu and toggle the 6.1 setting. Not terribly difficult but still more than one button press [​IMG]
    I've been reading the Onkyo SR600/700 manual to determine if it has this feature and as best I can tell, it has a toggle mode each for DD and DTS. So, if you're watching a DTS movie and press the "surround" button, it will let you toggle between Auto, 6.1 fix, and 5.1 Right now the Onkyo has two features I wish the Pioneer had. That one and a direct/no-sub stereo mode.
    cheers,
    --tom

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I just realized that the problem with going from 5.1 to 6.1 with the Pioneer could be solved with a learning remote with macro capability.