Just got my Pioneer DV-444. Here's my 1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I only had about 2 hours last night to mess around with my early Christmas gift but here are my initial impressions...
    Crystal clear sound.
    I've read other reviews but just didn't fully comprehend exactly how good the audio is from this Pioneer DVD player.
    I popped in the Matrix DVD, selected the infamous lobby scene and sat back in amazement as sounds that I have never heard before became so evident to my ears.
    It made me wonder how much more was I missing on other DVD movies. I can't wait to go through and watch all DVDs in my collection over again with the DV-444 hooked up.
    Sharp and clean picture.
    Now the only other player I can compare the 444 to is my Sony DVP-550D which is no slouch. I've always been pleased with the picture from the Sony but between watching a few movies on my parents Panasonic RV-30 and the new Pioneer 444, I can notice the softer picture of the Sony unit.
    While the video quality of the Pioneer didn't strike me as drastically as the audio, it's still a solid performer.
    (note: all settings were out of box default and using regular interlace mode rather then progressive)
    MP3 playback.
    Not only did it recognize the cheapie CD-R that I threw in but the 444 read all folders and mp3s on the disk and displays the first 7 characters of each folder or track on my TV screen. Other players, such as the Panasonic RV31, can play MP3s but they don't display any information on a TV screen and most only play the MP3s in the order they were burned.
    I ended up getting this player for about $150.00 after mail-in rebate and some dumb luck, so far it's everything I expected and a little more.
    Brian

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, glad to see the '444 is working out for you. It looks like a great player for the price. By the way, I remember you saying you got it from www.800.com. They show no Pioneer DVD players on their web site. Did you get it from 800.com?

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I have a question about the mp3 playback. Now did you burn those as a music cd, or did you burn the mp3 files like a regular disc thereby allowing you to put like a hundred on there.

4. Brian Mansure

Keith,

Actually it was purchased by my mother-in-law for me as an early Christmas gift but yes, it was purchased from 800.com.

Pioneer has 800.com as an authorized online dealer so I don't know what's going on.

When I opened the 800.com shipping box it had their catalogue and I remember pointing out to my wife that I didn't see any Pioneer DVD players listed at all.

Odd.

Originally my mother-in-law ordered the Pioneer 440 from them cuz at the time that was the only Pioneer player they had listed. When it came to us damaged and we returned the 440 they pushed every other type of player except another Pioneer. I thought it was curious then but now I really wonder what's going on.

Basically we had to insist apon getting the Pioneer 444 and finally after some haggling my mother-in-law negotiated not only the 444 but she got it at the 440 price.

When the 444 came last night it was in a sealed factory box so I'm assuming everything is kosher.

5. Brian Mansure

Allen,

The CD-r I played had about 87 MP3s all total on it.

It was not burned as an audio CD.

The Pioneer 440 and 444 DVD players have built-in MP3 decoders, so you could literally listen to hours of music on one CD-R/RW.

Great feature and what makes the Pioneer models Mp3 playback even better is the track and folder display on the TV.

HTH,

Brian

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, thanks for the information. I wonder if 800.com stopped carrying Pioneer recently.