What's new

Just got my Paradigm PW2200. Wow!!! (1 Viewer)

Just did the big upgrade from a JVC 100 watt D1000 Sub, to a Paradigm PW2200. Wow what a difference. I had auditioned a Mirage S12 (new) and a Paradigm PS1200. The Mirage was definitely better than the PS1000, But I had to spend the extra $60 and go for the PW series. I left it playing AC/DC for about 4 hrs, and then got it placed and set up. I'm not sure if it's past it's break in period yet, but if it isn't then I can't even imagine how good it's going to sound in the next week or so. I don't even have the volume up 1/3 and my setting on my RX-V2400 was -10 to get it calibrated at 75 db, the same as my other 7 speakers. It is unbelievable what I was missing with my puny sub. I thought my system sounded pretty good, but now it sounds awesome. If anybody has any experience setting up the PW2200, I would appreciate any tips. Right now I have it beside my Sinclair SA285 towers which is kind of in a corner, but I have it angled into the room at the same toe in that I have my towers at. I have my AS-B1 Athena bookshelves as my surrounds on speaker mounts close to the ceiling, but flipped around with the tweeters at the bottom. Then I have my second set of Sinclair Audio SA285's in the back corners angled towards my sweetspot. When I am watching movies these are my back surrounds, but when I am listening to hi-rez music thru my multi-channel inputs my Sinclairs are my surround left & rights. This seems to work pretty good. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions I am always ready for some constructive criticism. Also if anybody else has tried running their speakers this way, I would like to hear what they think of it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Congrats. It is a nice sub. It's tough, if not impossible, for someone else to give you positioning tips for a sub, because you room is unique to you; but it sounds like what you've done already is a great start.

It was past it's break in period when you bought it.

Where did you hear that it's past it's break in period when you buy it? I was looking through this forum prior to buying the PW2200 and everybody made a note of saying that it takes some time to break-in. Just curious if you know this for sure.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...kerBreakIn.php

Speaker break-in is essentially a myth. If it does happen, it happens within a few minutes of use. It's not a car engine, which DOES require break-in, it's a speaker driver. Speaker drivers are designed to be consistent, so that the original design can be built in volume quantities without worrying about the variance of drivers. According to the article, most manufacturers during the testing phase of a speaker, do all the break-in that should be necessary for a speaker.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jason I have a PW2100 and which I love. In trying to set it up I've toed it in, shoved it in the corner, brought it out of the corner a little, put it between the mains, fired the driver at the wall, put it diagonly in the corner, etc. Just try all that stuff out and see what sounds best to you.

In the end I put mine square in the corner like everyone else with enough room behind it for the port to fire against the wall and not make noise.

Like you discovered it really doesn't take much gain to calibrate it but I know if I turned my gain up to half and fired up LOTR it would blow out my sub (I know this from experience!!).

Next thing I'd like to do is EQ it for a flat response, I think that would be fun and its not super expensive to do.

Shaun Gallagher

Auditioning
PW2100 owner here :) Love the Sub, I set the volume to just below half, channel level on reciever at 0db and tend to tweak from there depending on the source.

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been messing with it since I got it. (probably pxxxing off my neighbors) One thing I noticed is that Black Hawk Down never really kicked with the bass. I thought I had seen a review that said the bass was kick-a@#. Anybody else notice this?

Just checked out the infamous Darla tapping on glass scene from Finding Nemo. Freaking Awesome!!! My wife started screaming at me to turn it down before our house fell down around us. That's definitely worth the $820 + tax that I got the PW2200 for at Audio 5.1 in Edmonton AB. The scene where the whale spits out Marlin & Dora was pretty cool too.

PS: I think Darla scared my 2 yr old who had watched Finding Nemo a hundred times before without ever being scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks