Just got my new SVS sub and samson amp..Not happy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeanQ, Mar 5, 2002.

1. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

I just got my sub installed and samson amp hooked up. To tell you im not that impressed as people made it out to be. Im not too happy. The Bass isnt that "BIG" I got my samson amp turned up all the way and the gain on my yamaha reciever up all the way. Its not that powerful. I mean I have a powered 8in mirage sub and that sounded good it just bottomed out if i had it up too loud. At least my mirage went decently low and still punched high. Half the stuff I play music or DVD I can barely hear the sub unless its a real low bassy part. I mean unless this is the way its suppose to be I dont like it. I like to hear my sub on everything. I admit that the svs sub hits some lows my 8in didnt do. But Not all movies and music have that lkow of a hertz. Now if the samson sub had a hertz filter so i can adjust I would be happier. I played dvd's and music cd's at the sametime one at time on the svs and my mirage. Not much difference if it was on a low-medium level. Now when i crank it up loud on my reciever the svs shines but who the hell listens to tv, music movies way past half way? I dont. I listen to my dvd's pretty loud but not half way on the volume knob. I have to have hear to really make big notice on my svs. So my conclusion on my new svs sub is to send it back. This isnt for me. I might be happier with a 10in powered sub. This svs sub I feel like doesnt stay in the higher hertz range. Too much on the low side. My brother cam over and was like whats the big deal of this sub and amp? Needless to say I felt kinda embarressed. I mean geez I had the samson amp gain all the way up along with my reciever and was expecting this to hit hard. I really feel that if I had a powered 10 inch sub it would be almost the same. I can live without hitting the "25hz" range.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Have you calibrated it? It doesn't sound like it. Its possible you have something set up wrong, but until you calibrate it and get some good data its hard to tell where the problem might be.

3. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

It sounds to me like something isn't hooked up right Dean.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Since you didn't say, I'm guessing this is a 25-31? 25Hz is not really that low. Maybe exchange it for a 20-39?

Also, more info is needed - what receiver are you running and how is it setup? Could be a BIG factor. What about placement within the room? This is important too.

5. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Maybe its out of phase or maybe its a defective sub (leaky one maybe) just a thought. I heard these things and they really are quite loud!

just my .02 cents

Angelo

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Keith Mickunas

I haven't read that entire thread, but was Yamaha ever a problem there? Granted he could be the first with a specific model that's got issues, but I'm guessing the problem lies elsewhere.

8. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

I have a yamaha rx-v596. And it is a 25-31cs. I mean there isnt much to hook up. I have a sony dvp-ns700p dvd player and the samson 700 amp. Ok here is how i hooke it up. I used the free bettercable interconnect and removed the big rca jack on the end to use the little one underneath it to plug into my subwoofer jack behind my yamaha and connect the right elbow jack into input 1 on the samson 700. Then of course hooked up 14 gauge speaker wire from channel 1 into the svs sub. I got postive and neagtive correct. I have the samson amp gain all the way up. Thats about it. I hear the sub, its on. Im just not impressed. I just feel like all its hittin is low end. To me thats plain stupid. I dont hear the higher hertz. If I put a movie in I cant even tell the damn sub is on unless I start to crank my reciver up half way or so. But when I do all i hear is the lower end stuff. I kept flip floppin between my two subs to hear differences and the sad thing is there isnt much unless I purposely put on one of the dvd's listed as test bass demo's and of course I can hear a difference between my mirage. But my samson amp is up all the way I was expecting some serious punch or hard hitting bass. Like I said maybe HT subs are different. Maybe im expecting this to sound similar to my car two 10in JL audio subs in my trunk. My bro has a KLF 10 in powered sub and sounds better more punch. Anyone in GA wanna buy it from me locally in the Atlanta Metro Area?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, again- SVS might not be the right sub for you.
    However- a word of advice- you might consider researching and understanding the issue before plunking your dollars down.
    This whole issue you're having seems to stem from the fact that you bought a subwoofer whose whole selling point is excellent LOW FREQ performance- and then you are upset that it is too low, and not boomy enough for you.
    I would imagine anyone on the forum, when told you were looking for very throaty performance from your sub, would not have suggested SVS. And I'm sure if you return the unit- it will quickly be sold as B-stock and sent to a very happy next owner.
    -V

10. Keith Mickunas

Does your Yammie have test tones? If it does, run those and see what happens. Also, are you sure you have things set right on the receiver? Did you turn the sub on and set your speakers to small? I'm kind of wondering if you even have the old one working right if you hear so little difference. Do you have the Samson set to Stereo mode? If you have it set to bridged or parallel that may cause a problem.

11. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I have a friend that has a Yamaha sub in a small room. It sounded real good. I got back home and cranked up my dual CS+/s1000 subs and the difference became apparent. The SVS is much cleaner, not muddy and not boomy. To some it would almost sound like less bass. I put in the Phantom Menace and the bass was shaking the couch. My friends did not go that low but he still had a lot of bass. It was just different. I guess some people might like that boomy sound better. I like my SVS the best, but his was nice too just different.

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Dean,

Sorry to hear you aren't 100% happy with the SVS experience to date. I would at least give yourself a few weeks to trouble shoot and optimize the setup(with help from SVS and other HT enthusiasts here at HTF) before you decide to send it back to us. You'll be out the shipping costs regardless, so you might as well try to work out any setup/calibration bugs before you give up.

Vince has already addressed a few issues,and quite expertly as usual. I would emphasize that until you try calibrating the subwoofer using a SPL meter...all we can really do is take some shots in the dark trying to help your trouble shoot from our end. If you haven't spent the $29 for a SPL meter yet...it's really the best $29 you'll ever spend for your HT.

TV

13. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Dean,

I think your initial impressions of the SVS are somewhat skewed by your past history with the "boom factor" from your 8" Mirage. I am guessing that your Mirage does not have nearly the flat frequency response that the SVS does, but shows major peaks at mid-bass frequencies. Furthermore, your room is probably also superimposing peaks and valleys. SVS are terrific subs, but you need to pay attention to (and learn, if necessary) proper setup procedures, which include the following:

1. Experiment with room placement.

2. Use parametric equalization to smooth out room response.

3. Calibrate.

Output from your Yamaha/Samson should be sufficient to drive it to enjoyable levels, provided the room is not excessively large. Remember that the output one looks for with an SVS is not a peaky mid-bass boom to which you may have become accustomed with your old sub. Rather, the goal is a smooth, frequency-balanced, well-integrated bass sound that is soft when it is supposed to be soft, and powerful when it is supposed to be powerful.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Cliff

14. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

I did buy the radio shack spl meter yesterday. And my yamaha does have test tones, I just ran it but it tested everything out except my sub???? It skipped the sub output it only did FL Ctr FR RR RL?? Maybe I need to bust out my reciever manual. I set something on my amp meny that was called BASS OUT> to SW. It was set to BASS OUT>BOTH whatever that meant but when I set it to SW the bass got louder. How do I use my spl meter that I have. I do not have teh avia disc or video essentials. Do I need these to test it or is there an alternative.

15. Keith Mickunas

Dean, I don't know about your model specifically, but on the RX-V1 there are test tones in another part of the menu that test different frequenies for the sub. Check the receiver's manual to see if they're in there.

Avia or VE would be a big help. They have test tones for the sub and speakers so you can match everything correctly. I'll let someone else explain the SPL meter as I don't remember everything exactly. However if your receiver doesn't have test tones for the sub, you have to get a test disc to calibrate it.

16. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Setting it to "both" sounds like you had your mains set to "large" and subwoofer "yes", which will only send the lowest stuff to the sub (not sure about the Yammie's specific x-over) but that was probably it.

An alternative, until you can pick up Avia or VE, would be any DVD that has a THX opti-mode config. This should get you well in the ballpark, with respect to calibration.

17. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

I have a couple of dvd's that has the THX optiplex. I will use that because looks like in my yamaha receiver it doesnt send a test tone to my sub? How stupid is that? Its not even on yr old and it was a $400 amp. I know that not that expensive but geez I figured it should at least have that.

18. DeanQ

DeanQ Stunt Coordinator

Ok I got my bass a lot louder now. I set all my speakers to SMALL except my MAIN Speaker setting. When I set this to small I could hear the bass get lower so I left that one on large. The rest Center and small made a big difference when it was set to small. And I set my BASS OUT to SW and that made a difference.I set my DTS LFE from the factory preset "0" to +10db. I didnt test this out yet but I went ahead and set it to its highest setting. Not sure if that will make a big difference once I play a DTS movie. But as far as I know I did everything on my receiver that I found in my manual to do.And I do hear a big difference. Now I will listen to it and see if this type of sound is what I want and play with the positioning of the sub in diff location which I only have 2 places I can put it. I noticed the sub hit hard when I stand behind it next to my wall vs. when I sit on my couch, I mean it hits hard as hell when Im behind it. I wish it sounded like that when I was on the couch.

19. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Dean:

What are your speakers? Mains at large might not be the best option for you unless they can go really low and stay flat as you crank it.

Also, you definitely need to get Avia or VE and calibrate properly.

One method for determining sub placement is to put the sub near the listening position and walk around the room for the loudest part, then put the sub there.

20. DennisZ

DennisZ Agent

One thing I see that no one mentioned was the switch on the back of the Samson amp. It should be in the middle - stereo, not to the left or right - parrallel / bridged.

Also check to make sure the BC cable is in pretty snug to channel one. It should click when in all the way.

These subs and amp just plain kick ass

Denny