What's new

Just got my new reciever (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up going with the Yamaha RXV-730 but got a couple questions.
1. it has a, and b speakers and I was wondering about this is can i be playing xbox on the a (surround speakers), and have my mp3 player hooked up to it to play through the B speakers?
2. Which one of these do I plug my sub woofer into: subwoofer output, or 6 channel input sub woofer?
3. where abouts would I plug in the rear center channel?
I read the manual but iam still a little blurry about these areas.

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on your new toy. ;)

1. Yes, you can setup your XBox and MP3 player to play through either your A or B speaker sets with no problem. You'll need to either set this up in the OSD or possibly switch them manually depending on the receivers features.

2. Plug your subwoofer into the 'Subwoofer Output'. 6 channel input would be for something like a SACD or DVD-A player.

3. The rear center channel actually has it's own connection. Looking at the back of the receiver panel you should see it located between the hookups for the main and center channel. Here is a reference : RX-V730 speaker hookups.

Hope the info helps. :)

-Jeramy

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks man it has been a long road and iam just about going insane. When I picked it up the guy recomended energy over my previous pick so I want home to think about. Well the next day I worked and couldnt go so my plans were yesterday to pick up the speakers, and sub but only got the sub since the other place closed early. So finally tomorrow I can add the speakers and a week later have a nice home theater. Also anyone deal with A&B sound? If so do you think if I bought my reciever all speakers (minus sub) from them they would give me some sort of deal, like a price break or possible throw in the speaker cable?

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Oh ya the brings up another question that switch on the back panel right at the bottom, should I put it to the right or to the left?

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
That switch is the impedance selector. You'll need to find out what your speakers are rated at before setting this switch. This is something the dealer should be able to answer for you as well.

If they can't help you I'd suggest posting your speaker setup here and perhaps one of the forum members can give lend a hand. :)

-Jeramy

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
In most cases you'll need to leave the swith in its default position, also the RX-V730 does not support multi room/multi source playback like you described using a speakers for one thing b speakers for another, Yes you can have 2 sets of main stereo speakers running off of it but you will get the same source out of both. You can however by using the remote choose an av source to view on your tv and then by selectin an audio in like cd listen to completely different audio I use this alot for when I play my gamecube since gamesound typically is not important to me. But unfortunately it does not support having 2 sources playing through 2 different sets of speakers. The first model in the Yamaha lineup that does this will be the RX-V1300. I to have the 730 and its a great reciever you made a very good descision on getting it and you'll be more than happy with it.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
What speakers did you decide to go with?? I've got the Energy's myself as you can see in the link in my signature and they make for a powerful combination with the 730.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
I went with the JBL pb10 sub, and the energy c-1 bookshelves, might go c-3 bookshelves for front and c-1 for back, and the C-C1 center channel. Going to pick them up tomorrow I cant wait. Also Iam thinking of getting the speaker cable from Revi (60 cents a foot there as opposed to 1.80 and A&B) think that is a good idea? So iam confused could I be playing gamecube on the surround speakers, and have the MP3 player playing through the B speakers at the same time?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
could I be playing gamecube on the surround speakers, and have the MP3 player playing through the B speakers at the same time
no what I was trying to explain is you can have the video from a video source playing on the TV while listening to the audio of a different audio only source (ie cd,tape,md/cdr) on the reciever but you can listen to 2 sources at the same time on different speakers.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
thanks. Any advice on the settings I can make in the reciever to optimize its sound? BTW I love bass so anyway I can make that better would be great.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Reid, I've done what I consider a fair amount of business with A&B Sound, they will deal depending on whom you talk with. As for speaker wire, go for the stuff at Revy, is it 12 gauge for that price? I think I've seen 14 gauge ( thinner) for 30 cents/foot. Banana plugs aren't a necessity but do make hook-ups slicker. Definitely hook up your X-box so it's 5.1, man I can't believe how good some of the games sound. You will probably be a very happy camper with your new gear and if not, A&B has a very good return policy, 30 days full refund, exchange, and price protection.

Enjoy,

Steve

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
can you recomend an xbox game that really shows off the DD? I had an old crappy HT in a box and want to see the difference lol

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Reid, Ghost Recon has some tremendous LFE and great use of surrounds. Medal of Honour: Frontline is also good for sounds all over the soundfield, and it rotates as your character does. You might want to turn off the vibration feature in this game as it makes it very difficult to aim.

I only have a few games so I'm not too much help in this area.:D Dead or Alive 3 is pretty decent too, plus great graphics, gotta try the beach volleyball too. Halo also has decent sound.

Cheers,

Steve

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I got halo and DOA3 so I guess ill try those out first. Maybe rent Ghost recon tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks