What's new

Just got my new Panasonic 47WX53 and had some questions on it. (1 Viewer)

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello to all, I just picked this T.V. up this past weekened at the Big Best Buy sale. $1399.99 plus 24 months No Interest is Very Hard to pass up.

I am a Newbee to HD and RPTV's

What should my settings be for watching Normal shows, playing X-Box, and DVD's.

Should I set my Sat. to 16/9 and my X-Box as well.

Is it Bad to watch anything on anything but 16/9.

Also how does the PIP work if you have a Sat. Dish.

Thanks to all who respond

Beau

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, actually I have a question for you. That is one of the tv's I noticed everyone talking about and I saw the price was good. I wondered if you got the extra warranty on it at Besy Buy and if you did how much was it? That is something I'm not sure if I want/need or not. Also, did you have it delivered and if so how much was that?

As for your question, I'm not completely a newbie around here, I've been told by the guys around here that you should keep your aspect ratio true to however the show/movie was made. With X-box I think there is a setting when when you turn it on like widescreen or 16x9. Set it 16x9 and make sure your tv is in 16x9 mode. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy STocker

P.S. so far are you happy with your choice? What other sets were you close to buying?

Charles Shultz

Auditioning
you can watch anything in any aspect ratio you want. but to make the most of your 16:9 screen, you should set all sources to 16:9/widescreen and display them using the 16:9/widescreen aspect ration on the TV.

i dont want to take your post but i am also considering the PT-47WX53 and i also have a couple questions i was hoping someone might know:

1. i saw that it only has 9 point convergence from the user menu - does the service menu have more points, and if so can someone give me the service menu code?
2. is the SVM defeatable from either menu?
3. i read contradicting posts on this so i would like to ask - can the unused inputs be defeated?

thank you, Charles

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the T.V. at the store,so it was not delivered. No, I did not get any extra warranty.

Yes it has 9 point conv, and I do not know about the SVM.

What is SVM?

Should I use my X-Box with the High-DEF cabels or My regular non prog scan DVD player to watch movies?

Thanks Beau

Charles Shultz

Auditioning
SVM = scan veolcity modulation. basically it sharpens lower-def images from sources like VHS, analog broadcast, etc. but it can create crazy white lines around objects on higher def material like DVDs and HDTV.

i have only watched a couple movies at friends' houses thru an x-box but a lot of movies on my h/k and denon dvd players. there is no contest. any competant dvd player can outperform an x-box from my experience. also, if the x-box isn't progressive scan for sure go with the component dvd player. finally, the x-box doesnt upconvert dvd output to a HD format [at least i dont think so and it would be using the same source material as your dvd player anyway].

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I have had my 47Wx53 for a little over a week, and I must say it is a terrific set. I only have my DVD Player hooked up to it right now, and I haven't seen any HD material yet. But DVD's look incredible, especially stellar transfers like ATTACK OF THE CLONES, THE TWO TOWERS and STARSHIP TROOPERS Superbit. Older low budget films like THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST look great as well, though the flaws in the source material are more noticable. I have the Panny Rp-82 hooked up to it via the Progressive Component input, so I'm sure this is really helping the picture quality.

The only thing I'm worried about is 4:3 material. I did watch one 4:3 film on this set(MGM's masterful transfer of the 1933 Karloff classic THE GHOUL), and it looked great. But I don't want burn-in to be any kind of an issue, so I'm trying not to watch too much in 4:3. I do have the contrast set(via Avia) at 30, brightness at around 26, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Larry, how's the strech mode ?...does 4:3 material look bad if you strech it ?
I have experimented with the stretch mode, which is called Just, and it does a fairly good job on 4:3 material. I wouldn't mind using it for uncritical viewing, but I just don't like watching 4:3 films stretched. The Zoom Mode is for letterboxed non-anamorphic titles, and that looks good(I watched the non-anamorphic COUNTESS DRACULA in that mode and I was surprised by how good it looked despite the lack of anamorphic enhancement).

Charles Shultz

Auditioning
Larry, i do believe that if the panny has grey bars instead of black bars ont eh side of the picture while watching 4:3 material burn in shouldnt be a problem :)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
i do believe that if the panny has grey bars instead of black bars ont eh side of the picture while watching 4:3 material burn in shouldnt be a problem
I think grey bars minimize the possibility of burn in, but they don't eliminate the possibility completely.

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
For those who have this set, what should my settings be on each mode. Standard, Vivid, and Cinema.

This is my first RPTV so I am very confused on the convergence and SVM stuff.

The look of the T.V. itself is different from a regular tv I know, but I feel like it could look a lot better.

When I did the THX optimizer on a DVD I had the square and the rectangle with the circle in it looked distorted a little. Also when I change the channel on my Sat. The channel guide that come up for each station looks wavey in spots.

Thanks for any info

Beau

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
For those who have this set, what should my settings be on each mode. Standard, Vivid, and Cinema.
Beau,
I have the setting at Cinema Mode for 480P DVD's in the Component setting. This will help to bring the contrast down right away. In the Cinema Mode these are my settings(they can vary from set to set): Picture-30;Brightness-26; Color-28; Tint-31; Sharpness-0. For broadcasts and Super VHS I use the Standard mode, with the settings almost the same as those for the Cinema mode. I don't have a HD source yet, so I can't answer that one.
I'm slightly confused on the Convergence too; I did the nine point convergence the day after I had the set, and I made things look much worse, so I did the reset. A few days later I tweaked the convergence where it needed to be tweaked(when red or blue lines were really coming out of the pattern), but left it alone when it looked aligned properly. The picture improved after I did this, and looks great; make sure you have the set on for at least a half hour before doing convergence or any other major adjustments.

This is my first CRT rear projection television, so I'm not exactly sure on every issue either. I did have a Samsung LCD rear projector, but convergence isn't a factor with LCD, so it was much simpler to set up. That is the only thing I miss about that set(the black levels and color can't match the Panny).

I would recommend getting either Avia or Video Essentials to really optomize the set; both are available online from Amazon or any other reputable DVD seller. They do a better job than the THX test patterns(though they can be helpful).

After I have enough hours on this set, I may get it ISF calibrated(providing I can find someone to do it in the Philly area; we are really lacking in that department around here).

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
What modes do you watch normal tv, movies and video games in. Just, Full, or Zoom.

Where is the 480p setting on the cinema mode? Is that on the tv? I do not have component, I am using S-Video. Is Component that much better? I do not have a prog. scan DVD player.

I was watching the CUBS game and the people in the backround are very blurry. Is this normal? If so where is this adj. made.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I was watching the CUBS game and the people in the backround are very blurry. Is this normal? If so where is this adj. made.
I don't have High Definition signals going into this tv yet, so I don't know if blurryness during a broadcast of a baseball game is normal or not. On regular broadcast or cable backgrounds tend to look blurry or ill defined on this set(and probably on most others as well).

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Beau, I just purchased the same TV you got at Best Buy!! I see now they have jacked the price up $100 this week, so I'm glad I got it now...although they are now offering a free portable DVD player (which I don't want anyway)...I am having it delivered Tuesday!!

Andy

I am very interested in this TV can anyone tell me for sure if it has the screen protector on it? Also has anyone else noticed that Wal-mart has this TV for $1284 or something? I would never purchase it there but that is a great price to have Best Buy match.

Thanks,

Frank

Thanks Larry, I am getting close in my decision to purchase this set. What is everyone's opinion on the Best Buy warranty plan (4 Years for $299)?

Thanks,

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks