What's new

Just Got My New HD-DVD Player......WOW!!! (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Hello,My name's Troy.Here's where I stand.One year ago I had the pleasure of seeing Toshiba's first HD DVD player in action at My local Best Buy.At the time I was watching all My dvds on My Samsung Upconvert player with a Panosonic Tau 36" crt display,So You can imagine how impressed I was.But,I dismissed it as I have so many new technolegies,with My..."let's see how long You last"..attitude.Over the past year I've upgraded My display to a Samsung 42"widescreen plasma 720p/1080i and I bought the Denon Upconvert Dvd player to compliment My new TV.As I was in My local Circuit City buying My new plasma they had a HD-DVD demo on one TV and a BLUE-RAY on another.As I went back and forth,I made some comparisons mostly arbitrary.So,as I looked around the store at the 2 different formats I noticed while each side has different studio releases,no one side had put out anymore titles than the other.Without getting into a format war debate,let's just say I had a very positive and absolute epiphany.So,2 months after buying My Samsung I went back to the BEST BUY and proudly purchased My Toshiba HD-DVD A20.I used My HDMI connection to hook it up.My first HD title..."Serenity"..After inserting the disc everything after that was AMAZING!I have also watched dvds from My collection and let Me say to anyone out there who bought an upconvert player,They cannot touch what this player will do for your existing dvd movies.Most stores don't mind if you bring in a movie to try it on the dvd players to see if it's right for you.So,get your favorite movie from your dvd collection,take it to your local CC or BBuy and compare.That's what I had to do and I hold My head high knowing this is the superior format.At least for Me.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Welcome to the club, Troy!

Yes, the upconverting capabilities of the Toshiba HD DVD machines are a great reason to get them. It consolidates your SD DVD library, so to say.

What's the firmware version of your player? Did you upgrade that already (if necessary)?

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Troy, welcome to the club. Hope you continue to enjoy some of the other fine releases currently available.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Hey Guys,Thanks for the welcome.In response to Cees,My player has the 1.0/mpeg2 firmware.I called Toshiba,by the way,They are very customer service driven.One of the best telephone experiences I've had.Anyway,They are sending Me a 1.5 firmware upgrade disc upon My request.Here's what I need to know,I have had no problems with My player,Do I still update the firmware?I read in a post about a guy who updated His and had nothing but trouble since.Any and all advice or help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.My only regret so far has been that I should have waited another 2 to 3 weeks and I could have saved a $100.00.At least I can still get 5 HD-dvds.This truely is a great offer that Toshiba put together.I think this will be a powerful blow in this...war.Man,I hate that studios have done this to us.When this is all over,I'm still going to have a bitter taste in My mouth over all this regardless of the outcome.Well,I'm not telling You guys anything You don't already know.So,instead of re-hashing the same old tired crap,Again I would be thankful for any advice.Thanks again for the welcome.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Welcome to the club, I believe you need fw 1.5 to be able to play certain discs.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Troy,

To find the information about the firmware levels, go here, point to "Customer Support" (top menu) and choose "Updates/Notices".
From the list in the smaller window click on the line with your player's type in it (A2, ...A20... etc.). You'll find the info you wanted, and also the number of the latest upgrade: 1.5.

According to some threads here, it may take some time before the disc you requested from Toshiba arrives at your home. You may want to use an internet connection.

If, like me, you don't want to have your player hooked up to the internet constantly, but want to use this to upgrade the firmware, just configure an internet connection on it and connect it temporarily. For me (I have the HD-A1) it worked like a charm. Please read the central thread we have about that (a "sticky").

Good luck!

Cees

troy evans

Screenwriter
Now,That's a good idea.Thanks,I had completely forgot about that part of the stores policies.Very Helpful,I went in today to make sure I could and the Sale will be around 6/10 to 6/16 or so.It does fall within My 30 days.Again,great tip and Thanks.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
No prob :) Just sent my aunt back to best buy as she bought a player 2 weeks ago. You can also still buy the matrix trilogy and get 2 free dvds if you want. Just take the receipt and you're set! Welcome to the HD club :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks