Just got my HSU STF-2

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by noahG, Dec 2, 2003.

1. noahG

noahG Agent

actually I bought one yesterday that wouldn't turn on, so I returned it and got another one that seems to be working just fine. I haven't calibrated it yet but just from playing around it filled out my setup pretty nicely. I'm running 2 NHT SB-3 as my mains, an SC-1 as my center and my surrounds are a pair of old Spica SC-30's. I wanted a sub that would go pretty deep because the SB-3's already go down to 39hz and paying a few hundred for a sub that stopped at 30hz didn't make sense.

anyway, I got mine from CompUSA, which is (currently) selling the STF-2 for only $349, that's $50 cheaper than the factory direct price. I understand HSU is trying to get them to stop this, but if you live near a compUSA and have always wanted a serious sub, I suggest you head over in the next few days.

Noah G.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The CompUSA site indicates that the amp for this subwoofer produces 250 watts. However, the HSU Research site indicates that 200 watts is provided via a BASH amplifier. What does your documentation state?

Oh, thanks for letting us know that CompUSA is selling this sub. In the latest sales circular for CompUSA, I saw that they are also selling H/K receivers and Wharfdale speakers - along with other goodies.

3. noahG

noahG Agent

the documentation on the box is the same as the HSU website 200 watts RMS, peaking at 800 watts. I think it's just a typo on the compusa website.

as to your other note, it would appear that compusa is actually starting up a whole home theater section with TV's receivers and all sorts of stuff. I was only interested in the sub as I already had everything else I needed but it might be worth exploring further.

Noah

4. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Hi all

It was in the L.A. Times that the owner of CompUSA bought the good guys a/v chain.

Regards,

TCIII

5. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

How does this sub compare to the HSU VTF-2? Is the VTF-2 being replaced with this model?

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

7. noahG

noahG Agent

there is a ton of info to be had by pouring through the forums on the hsu site. that's where I found out that CompUSA was selling the darn things.

Hsu Research Forum

8. Rob E

Rob E Extra

Compusa.com says that they are all sold out?

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I went to CompUSA today and sure enough they do have the HSU STF-2. The price tag was missing though. That's a big sub! But for $349 or $399 it's a good deal. They also had the Ventriloquist system. I didn't get a chance to listen to them but how are those little things supposed to sound good with a 2.5" single driver?

CompUSA also carries Wharfdale and HK. Now I've got two HK dealers within a block of each other. CC is across the street. CompUSA had the HK 230, 330 and 430 models.

11. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Greg,

I have heard the Ventriloquist....very impressive for its size and cost. With a sub...say the STF-2, I think it can compete easily with other HT systems at the $700 mark.or even higher. The STF-2 will outclass most if not all the subs with those packages.

"The system works by using a center channel with extra inputs and outputs for the left and right channels. The center channel directs the 80 – 250 Hz bass from the left and right channels to the center channel’s large woofers. The remaining higher frequencies are sent to the micro-satellites."