Just got my Hitachi 57TWX20b- Couple questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JamesOr, Jul 2, 2003.

1. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

I love this tv for dvd's and most of the xbox games I've tried so far. I just got it on Monday so I haven't watched a whole dvd yet, just parts of several movies to see which ones looked best.

My biggest question is concerning the interlacing when watching DirecTv. It happens everytime there is a quick scene change or when the camera switches from one view to another in the space of a couple frames. The horizontal lines are very visible. It doesn't seem to happen on ESPN except during commercials though I haven't watched enough tv to say for sure. I'm going out of the DirecTv receiver with s-video to the TV. I do have a ReplayTv I haven't hooked up yet, would using the component outputs on that fix the problem?

My other question is more general. Are there any video options I should stay away from for the health of the tv in the early stages? I've noticed the "noise reduction", "dimmer" "scan velocity modulation", and other options and I want to make sure none of them are harmful in the "pre break-in" stage. I'm trying not to be too paranoid about burn-in but I don't want to be stupid either. Thanks

2. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

I have the same unit and saw the same thing...the problem is you are probably watching Directv in "Movie" mode which enables 2:3 pulldown, this mode is made for film based DVDs. I watch my Dish and Ant in "Sports" mode or you can choose any other besides "Movie" this will eliminate those bands you see.
    Remember to turn down your Contrast to at least 50% if you use "Sports" mode as it comes from the factory at 100%!
    Kevin

3. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

Dimmer is simply a electric eye that will kick up contrast in a bright room and dim the picture in a darker room I would disable this one.
    Scan Velocity effect the sharpness of the picture some like it some don't.
    Noise reduction helps to reduce video noise although I don't think it is very affective.
    Kevin

4. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

5. JamesOr

JamesOr Agent

Thanks for all the responses. That answers my question completely. Now if that pesky sun would just go away so I could watch movies earlier...