What's new

Just got my gear...WOO HOO (1 Viewer)

Paul Cole

Agent
I picked up an Onkyo 595 and the JBL Northridge series and 10" sub today. I won't be hooking anything up till late September (cause that's when we move into our new place) and the wait may kill me. This will be matched with a 61" Sony HS10 and Sony DVD player...I CAN NOT wait.
While I love Onkyo, I have to say that I am not very impressed with the outward quality of the 595. Comparing it to my 7 year old Onkyo SV515PRO I noticed some interesting differences.
Metal feet
My SV515PRO has nice metal feet while the 595 has (what appears to be) cheap plastic feet. I am going by what I saw in the store and have not even unpacked mine yet.
Lighted metal volume knob
It was nice to see a bright red notch marking my volume at 9 o'clock, 11 o'clock, etc from the other side of the house. The 595 has no light and again uses cheap plastic instead of metal.
Weight
The 595 feels MUCH lighter than the 515pro....why does this bother me?
I'm hoping that what ever corners they cut on the OUTSIDE, were done to improve the INSIDE. Still, the added use of plastics instead of metals bothers me. I'm willing to overlook all this because I have NEVER had a problem with Onkyo. Once I find a product that is good, I stay loyal...Onkyo has been GREAT.
Btw, the 696 had these same plastic features.
The JBL's simply blew me away. Granted, I am a novice but these speakers really sounded great to me. Especially the center channel...just AWESOME. As far as the sub goes, I know it's not the greatest, but it should be fine to get me started (especially when you guy's help me tweak this stuff...lol).
Thank's for getting me pointed in the right direction guy's.
peace-d9

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Well seing as though you won't be using it for another month or so... Wanna let me lend it and I can break em in for you
biggrin.gif

On a serious note.... Congratulations on your purchase, I plan on purchasing an Onkyo 595 or 575x shortly as per the advice i have read on this site.
------------------
I hate living in R4........
  • More Expensive HT equiptment
  • DVD titles released 12 months after R1
[Edited last by Gary Miller on September 04, 2001 at 01:31 AM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
here's all i know: the plastic feet will absorb vibrations better than metal feet.
i have the 595 as well and am more than impressed all around. my only complaint is that the remote is not backlit, like it was last year!!! go figure.

Paul Cole

Agent
Yes, what is the story with the remote?! Every button looks like it can light but doesn't...why would they do that?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Paul,
The 696 is awesome! I've had mine for a little over a month and it is a monster. Feed it The Matrix, and it spits out nuance and carnage, all at the same time. The 595 has got good reviews, so I'm sure it's very similar.
Also, FWIW, the Volume knob on the 696 is actually machined metal. The feet are slightly different, but are indeed plastic.
I'm sure your HT will rock. Those Northridge are under-appreciated performers, thanks to poor listening conditions at BB. Be sure to let us know how it sounds when you fire it all up.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Jeremy_Bone

Auditioning
Umm.. I just received my Onkyo 595 today from JandR and the remote that came with it IS backlit.
[Edited last by Jeremy_Bone on September 05, 2001 at 02:23 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks