just got my first Windows XP PC....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Julian Reville, May 30, 2003.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

and I kinda like it [​IMG] All my other PCs are running Windows 98 or 95.

This is a HP Pavilion 513n that I got for $399 and XP Home came pre-installed, which means: the backup disc is on a separate partition on the same hard-drive! I didn't know this when I ordered it from www.dartek.com
    No discs were sent at all.

Assuming the HD stays functional I should be in good shape, but if croaks, what then? I'm a little confused by the "activation/registration" aspect of XP and what happens if you have to replace the hard drive or the motherboard.

My PC at home is running Windows 98; is the XP Home upgrade for $99 the way to go or should I get the full edition?

Any help appreciated,
    Julian

2. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Julian,

I can't help you with your HP question (I build my own PCs - so I never had that problem) but as for as your xp question....

Just buy the upgrade version of xp. Since you own Win98, when you do a clean install the xp installer will ask you to place your original Win98 disc in so that it can verify that you do own a previous version of Windows and then it will install as usual.

Hope that helps.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

As long as you have that Certificate you are fine. You can actually call HP and they will send you a new Windows XP Home restoration disc so that you have one. Of course they will charge a nominal fee to do so.

KyleS

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

IBM pulls the same crap as HP, on their laptops, don't know about their desktop, but wouldn't be surprised.