Just got my denon 3803.. Now what?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Welch, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Kevin_Welch

Kevin_Welch Agent

This instruction manual is the worst.
    1. first of all why do i have to turn up the volume so high? i can barely hear my speakers.
    2. How loud do you have your levels set?(Front/center/surr) I have polk LSi 15's
    3. Help with amp for speakers in other rooms. i have one speaker in each of my bathrooms with vol. controll, how do i hook up this amp so it is always on/
    4. happy holidays!!!!
    K~

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Quote:
    1. first of all why do i have to turn up the volume so high? i can barely hear my speakers.
    How many speakers are you driving? 5? What is their efficiency rating? Which receiver were you running before?

Keep in mind that most modern receivers require the volume knob to be turned up quite high in order to produce an acceptable level of volume. However, once it starts to "get up there" - the volume level still has more room to go.

3. Kevin_Welch

Kevin_Welch Agent

I am running 5 speakers Polk cs350i center/ polk LSi15 fronts and Polk psw150 sub and jbl surrounds, i had a 10 year old pioneer rec with no bells or wistles just lots of wats 135*4

4. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,
    If I'm not mistaking those LSi's are 4 ohm speakers and your center is 8 ohms. Not sure about your jbl surrounds. That might have something to do with it. I checked the spec sheet on
    Denon's site and didn't see anything about being able to switch the 3803 from 8 to 4 ohms. Check your owners manual to see if this is a possibility. Just a thought.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

When you're saying high, how high is high? (What reading on the volume display?)

6. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

The volume on the 3803 goes from -80 to +18 (give or take a few dbs based on the mode). I run cable TV usually between -25 and -20, Music about the same, but DVDs are usually mixed a bit softer so they'll be from -20 to -10 typically for me.

- Jack

7. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Those LSi speakers are supposed to work better with B&K, Adcom, Rotel and other truly 4 ohm capable high current receivers or separates.

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The Denon can drive 4 ohm loads no problem,just to be sure it gets enough ventilation.LSI's aren't too tough to drive,they fairly sensetive[88-89db],however they are "happier" with more power, I agree.

9. Kevin_Welch

Kevin_Welch Agent

what about the amp question?
    How do i hook up a dedicated amp?

10. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i have the denon 1604 and typically have the volume at -30 for tv and about -04 for movies. dolby reference volume is +08 for my setup. turning the receiver to -25 isn't a "high" volume to set it at. its only a high volume when you start getting a high volume from the speakers [​IMG] dont worry about pushing the denon it should be able to play your speakers at a very high volume level.