1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Just got my Denon 3802 and WOW!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DAN NEIR, Jul 26, 2001.

1. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

I just got my Denon 3802 and it is amazing. I just finished setting everything up(dvd,laser disc, vhs, beta) so I haven't gotten to play with everything. But I played the tiger scene from Gladiator and the 6.1 just blew me away. I heard stuff I hadn't heard before. I think I'm gonna have to get the Haunting tomorrow because I 've heard it also has a great 6.1 sound. T-2 sounded awesome as well. My dts lasers played well and I played my Beverly Hills Cop in laser in dolby prologic II and it sounded great. Best of all the price of $995 was just too good to believe, it allowed me to purchase a new speaker for the rear.

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Dan: Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure that the 3802 is fantastic. Still, did you consider buying a 3801 for around $650? I guess that if you have alot of Dolby 2 DVDs or want to watch alot of TV using DPL2, then it probably was worth the extra bucks!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

John;
    Where can you get the 3801 for $650?
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

4. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

I never saw the 3801 for any where less than 1000, I started the day looking at one for 1000 but the guy who was showing it to me didn't even know that the 3802 was out and seemed to know little about the features on either. I lucked out because they didn't have any 3801's in stock so I ended up calling my regular home theater source and he told me he had the 3802 and could give me a good deal on it and a new center rear speaker.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

John,
    Was that price for a new 3801 at Tweeter (did they drop the price recently)? I think I saw it still listed for around $1000 at the store in my area recently.
    Thanks,
    Gil

7. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

8. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

the tweeter i was at the other day had the 3801 priced at $899.

9. Luciano Pires

Congrats on your purchase!
    I picked one up yesterday.
    Local store by me received 24 of them. I got mine for $849.95 + 6% tax.
    Can't wait to set it up
    LP
    ------------------

10. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

UBid would not be my first choice for buying the main component of my home theater. I've had one good UBid experience, three bad.
    Be forewarned--returns are difficult, time consuming and expensive, the quality of their refurbs is highly questionable (I had one DOA unit, one badly scratched unit, one incomplete unit, and have read numerous reports of the same here and elsewhere over the years), and they absolutely cornhole you on shipping (their markup on UPS rates is 70% or more).
    There's a lot to be said for paying your local dealer a premium for new-in-the-box goods!
    [Edited last by Bill Balcziak on July 27, 2001 at 11:47 AM]

11. Bill Balcziak

BTW--I'm not totally anti-UBid, but I think they've left a lot of disappointed buyers in their wake and I am concerned when somebody recommends them for a major purchase.
    Anybody who's thinking of bidding on an item at UBid should take a look at this thread. Obviously more than a few people have their doubts. I've always felt there was something a little "funny" about the bidding there.
    Caveat emptor, eh?
    [Edited last by Bill Balcziak on July 27, 2001 at 12:23 PM]

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

13. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Yeah, you can get the 3801 for under $900 shipped (retail), but much lower on Ebay($750).
    You can also get the 3802 for under $950 shipped.
    I noticed that the specs for the 3802 also state that its got 5 more watts per channel.
    I wonder what a test would reveal in real world wattage since the 3801 was found to put out about 87 watts/channel
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."
    [Edited last by Henry Carmona on July 27, 2001 at 01:17 PM]

14. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Henry,
    I received my 3802 today double boxed and functioning. Thanks for the recommendation. Did you receive a receipt in the mail for your 3801 or do I need to call and ask for it??
    Everyone else:
    I'm pulling out my former user of the Technics Receiver/Decoder combo idiot card. [​IMG]
    Where do I hookup the sub????? There are speaker hookups for everything including 2 sets of surrounds and a multizone, but I can't find the sub hookup.
    Off to Radioshack for a couple opticals to replace the coax I used before.

15. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Glad to hear you're happy, Dan! You were looking at the Onkyo 696, weren't you?
    I think you'll be happy witht the 3802 for a long time to come! :)
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

16. BrianBHD

BrianBHD Agent

People keep quoting that $650 number but it really doesn't exist at authorized dealers. Denon will deny warranty if you buy from those cheap-o online sites like crazzyeddie, etc. When searching for my 3801, I found the cheapest authorized, full warrantied, sealed box price to be around $850 + tax with a posted price of $999. The list for the 3802 seems to be around $1,199 but I have found dealers to be discounting it more and I got mine for $950. $100 for all the imporvements in the 3802 is a real deal. I quickly returned my 3801 and got the 3802.

17. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

18. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

What are the differences/improvements between the 3801 and 3802? Another 5 watts is no big deal so what else besides DPL II is worthwhile.
    Will a flock of 3801 owners be scrambling to sell their units to upgrade to the 3802?

19. Bill Balcziak

quote: Will a flock of 3801 owners be scrambling to sell their units to upgrade to the 3802?[/quote]
    Golly, that would be nice. Anybody who is unloading a 3801 can feel free to e-mail me ( [email protected] ).
    [Edited last by Bill Balcziak on July 27, 2001 at 06:16 PM]

20. Paul Chiappini

Paul Chiappini Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone suggest a reputable dealer that will ship one to me with a warranty Denon will honor?
    There's only one dealer even remotely close to me, and he still wants 1,300 for the 3801. The sales guy told me the 3802's would arrive in Oct. or Nov. What a bone-head.