What's new

Just got my 45tx - questions (1 Viewer)

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my 45tx and rewired my system and I'm all set up now. I have Energy Take 5.2 speakers and a SVS sub just for reference. I set it all up, ran the MCACC (which is really cool, by the way) and then change my subwoofer distance a little and change the x-over from 80 to 100Hz.
It sounds great so far, my sub has really come to life. My question is this. It seems to only let you choose between certain modes like THX CINEMA, DPL2, Neo6 etc... How can I set it up so none of these are active? I just wants straight DTS, DTS-ES or DD, DD-EX for DVD's. My understanding from the manual is that I should put it on THX CINEMA and it will set everything correctly. Or is there some other mode to do this? Thanks for the help. Now I have to order my Surround Back speakers. :)
-Russell

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If the 45TX works the same as my 47TX, then choose the "Standard" soundfield settings instead of the "THX" soundfields. The receiver should choose between DPLII, Dolby Digital and DTS, depending on the soundtrack. For two-channel soundtracks, you can cycle between DPLII Movie, DPLII Music, DPL, DTS Neo, etc.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Russel,

When you select DPLII under "movie mode"
the receiver will auto-detect DTS or DD 5.1 and play them as such with no alteration. THX Cinema mode applies THX processing (see page 107 in your manual for an explanation of what this is) to whatever base format the reciever is playing.

So basically if you want to listen to the native DD or DTS 5.1 format encoded on the disc, use DPLII under the movie mode selections. If you don't want DPLII applied to 2 channel tracks (non-5.1), press the "stereo dirrect" button on the left bottom corner of the remote once.

A lot of this is covered in the manual on page 46 and 47.

Getting the info you need from the manual is a bit difficult--sometimes you have to look in the remote button function listings on page 30-32, where you may be redirected to other pages to get more detailed explanations of what's going on with the receiver.

Some functions will be different depending on whether or not you have the center back speakers connected--for example the "sb ch mode" button on the bottom of the remote. This will synthesize a "phantom" rear center channel when you only have 5.1 speakers connected, but with 7.1 will set the receiver to auto-detect or manually activate true DDEX or DTSES processing.
This is useful because many discs aren't flagged properly for EX/ES and you must use this button to manually activate the processing.

I've had my 45tx for a couple of weeks now and am still learning new things about it, have patience and all will be revealed.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Russell,

Just curious--did the MCACC set your speakers to "Large" or "Small"?

Im using Energy EXL series bookshelf speakers, which I've always set to small, yet the MCACC decided they were Large. I went into the normal surround setup after doing the MCACC and manually set them to "small". A recheck of bass levels using my AVIA disc and sound meter showed this resulted in lower bass levels so I reset the Sub level on the receiver about 3 db higher than the MCACC setting to compensate.

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
It set them to small...however it said my sub was about 2 feet further away than it really is. My SVS sub is outstanding now. Literally takes my breath away on the really low stuff. The MCACC adjusted the levels perfectly for my room with a big open side on it and now I have tremendous bass. I never thought I could get rid of my room induced NULL but this thing is awesome.

I haven't had time to check everything with AVIA and my SPL Meter yet, I will do that tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

-Russell

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I just wants straight DTS, DTS-ES or DD, DD-EX for DVD's. My understanding from the manual is that I should put it on THX CINEMA and it will set everything correctly
i dont know if you can disable these, but when an appropriate dts/dd track is playing, and its on thx or another sound mode, just hit the 'movie' button below the power button, and rotate the left rotary dial until dts or dd comes up. took me a little tinkering to figure out with my 45tx, but i'm happy with it. i hate that thx mode, makes everything sound muffled.

CJ

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I just ran AVIA and it looks like my sub is a +1db hot, thats about it.

-Russell

Brae

Supporting Actor
HAHAHAHAHA, Rissel is the first person to state that the MCACC program actually set his speaker to Small instead of Large. WOW! Russel, please also include any feedback in the growing thread over at AVS, its here.
Also, almost everyone that I've read comments on regarding the distance determination from MCACC places it a little farther away, but I do not know why. Russel, you said that the MCACC placed the subwoofer's volume at about +1dB hot. How are you measuring the SPL? Keep in mind that if you are using the Radio Shack 33-2050 SPL meter the accuracy is +/-2dB and goes down hill rather quickly at low frequencies.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Russel,
MCACC set my sub 2 or 3 feet further away than it actually is too. The first time I ran it I changed sub distance to it's actual distance and had a hole in my bass response when playing the low frequency sweep on AVIA. Ran MCACC again and left sub distance where the receiver wanted it and the hole was pretty much gone.

I also have an odd room setup--tv and mains in one corner and couch in the other, with a largish archway in the right rear wall. On top of that my sitting position is 3 feet from the left surround and 7 feet from the right surround. I put the MCACC mike on the top of the couchback about even with where my ears normally are and the result was outstanding--much more balanced and clearer sound than I ever could achieve before with AVIA and spl meter.

I had the old Energy Take 5 set a couple of years ago, and they had a low pass set at about 100hz in the satellite speakers. Don't know if the 5.2 has this or not but it might be why your MCACC actually set your speakers to small.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks