What's new

Just got me a pt-47wx49... few questions for you pros... (1 Viewer)

Mitchel Kagawa

Auditioning
After 28 years on this planet I have finally taken the leap and bought me a projection tv.. more specifically the Panasonic PT-47WX49... I have a few questions for you pro's out there:
1. I hear this TV comes out of the box in "Torch" mode. What is it that makes a tv in a "Torch" mode? brightness? contrast?
2. How close to an ISF calibration could I get with the Video Essentials Disk? Or should I just spend the $200 and get someone out here to do it?
3. My DVD player (Sony-CX860) does not do Progressive scan... How much better of a picture could I expect with a progressive DVD player? I saw next years Sony DVD changer that does 300 disks, progressive, mp3's and cd-r's. and I'd rather wait for that since my dvd player already does 300 disks but if the picture is that much better I'd rather get a proggressive scan for the interim.
4. The set has what looks like speaker connectors on the back of the set so that I can connect it to my reciever and use the TV's speakers as the center channel. Would I be wise to do this or would I be better off using the center speaker that came with my speakers set (Energy Take 5)... Also If I was to use the TV's speakers do I send it the signal from a "center pre-out" or a full 100 watts?
Thanks for all your helps!
~Mitchel
------------------
Sometines I sit and think... and sometimes I just sit...
My DVD's
[Edited last by Mitchel Kagawa on November 05, 2001 at 03:09 PM]
[Edited last by Mitchel Kagawa on November 05, 2001 at 08:28 PM]

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
How close to an ISF calibration could I get with the Video Essentials Disk?
Two different things. An ISF tech will go inside your set into non-user settings and work some serious magic. Avia and VE just help you adjust user settings. Nothing more.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Mitchel Kagawa

Auditioning
Yeah I know they are 2 different things... my question should have been worded something like:
I was told that when the TV's are shipped the default settings will get you about 60% of the best possible picture and ISF calibration would get you to about 95-100% of the best possible picture... how close could i get to the best possible picture just tuning my set with the Video Essentials disk?
Thanks...
------------------
Sometines I sit and think... and sometimes I just sit...
My DVD's

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I am waiting on delivery of the same set. I also have the Take-5's (now with an SVS 20-39PC) and a non-progressive DVD player (Tosh 2109). Sounds like we have similar setups.
As for your question about torch mode, you'll want to lower the contrast and brightness right away to get it out of torch mode. Avia or VE will help you determine the correct values.
A guy named Brett has setup a website with information and forums about the Panny. It looks to be a good resource. Check it out at: http://63.249.150.205/panny/
-Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I have, and love, this set. FYI, you can do quite a bit by yourself to give you an excellent picture, but the color temp is still too high, making the set extremely bright. I enjoy the picture as I have it now, but I will make the ISF investment someday.
Regarding progessive scan DVD players, I notice a HUGE difference. There is so much less digital noise, and every movie is much more filmlike. Well worth the additional $200 investment for me. Of course, I only sit 7' away. If you are much further you will probably not notice it as much. Buy one and return it if you don't need it is my advice.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Here's my experience with my PT-47.
Out of the box, it was performing at 50%
With AVIA, I got it to about 70%
With full ISF calibration, 100%
Here's what is kind of difficult to understand. 6500K is not a point in a 2D graph. It is a plane on a 3D graph. There are many 6500K points, but not all are NTSC standard. That is D6500K. So you can be at 8000K but be further away from D6500K than a 10000K value. Look at the Perfect Vision mag and how they have that 3-dimensional color accuracy thing on their reviews and you'll start to understand. You can be at 6500K and be too green, or too red. You can be at 8000K but be closer to D6500K than that previous value. You really need a color analyzer to know. My set was way too green, and my initial color temps were in the 8000-9000K. But when MichaelTLV showed me the color analyzer, the point was way on the green side, almost off the scale!
So you can do quite a lot with AVIA, but you really need to be ISFd. Not just for gray scale and color temp, but also for electronic focus, manual focus, SVM disconnect, EE reduction (only a few ISFers know how to do this). All of these have a cumulative effect on the picture. I don't even feel like I'm watching the same set now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks