What's new

Just Got Laid Off - But Happy (1 Viewer)

James_S

Second Unit
Just got laid off, the company is downsizing (that’s what they all say). Anyhow I’m happy, the wife is happy I was miserable there anyway and it was about 1 hour drive there with no traffic and 1.5 hours to get home with no traffic. I know I should be mad or upset since it is the holiday season, But I not. They gave me 2 weeks severance.:) My family and I can survive for about four months with savings, but I will get unemployment that will cover the mortgage and car payment + more. So WE will be just find without even touching savings. I now will become a better man for my family and won’t be burden with all the negativity.
Thought I would share with everyone, even with times are tough, THERE IS ALWAYS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, and everything happens for a reason.
James

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Your P.O.V. is very refreshing James.
Smart thinking saving ahead, not everyone has the discipline to pull it off but now that you have I'm sure you're glad you did.
Good Luck in the search for a new job:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My company just laid off 11 people today (they get to work until the end of this month). Major bummer right before the holidays. :frowning:
Good luck, James!

Len Cheong

Second Unit
You have a great attitude and one that will get you through. Your right about your family not having to deal with the negativity your feeling about work. I find that my family is the most important thing in my life and should not have to be the dumping ground of work related stuff. I've been a fulltime dad for a year with a newborn at home. My wife's also at home so that's great. Enjoy your time at home and cherish it.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
James,

Great attitude. A positive attitude will help you through virtually anything.

I was given the package back in May and I'm finally starting to interview with some companies (I guess the economy is getting a little better here). I've been taking care of my 2 year old son which has been great since I've gotten to know him in a way that I would have never been able to without all this time off.

The one thing I'm surprised about is the severance. I know the laws in the US are a lot different than in Canada in terms of their provisions for layoffs. The company I used to work for was based in San Jose and from what I saw the average severances for Canadian employees were greater than twice what was offered to similar employees in San Jose.

Anyway, good luck in the future and enjoy the family.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
James: sounds like you *might* have worked for the Lazy "B" ...hmm, 1.5 hour commute? Sounds like Everett! YUK. (the plant, not the city)

Man, that drive would suck.

Hang in there dude!

~Rob

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I am wishing I can get laid off too. I am miserable at the job and the only reason I'm still there is because I can't get unemployment benefits if I quit. I am already applying for other jobs and planning to go back to school next year for a certificate in e-commerce. I think my friends and family is tired of me complaining about my job, so in the long run, it will be better for everyone.

Good luck, James!!

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Hey I know what it feels like to be layed off from the big "B". My last day is Dec. 14TH. I can't wait to spend more time with my family and say goodbye to second shift for life. With all of the benefits now is the best time to be layed off if there ever was a good time to be layed off.
So have you other "B" guys heard any good rumors lately?
Kevin C. :)

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat. I got the "good news" last Friday. It wasn't anticipated by everyone. They also gave out 47 other notices. I had just got back from a profitable business trip, and now I have to inform clients that we won't be able to deliver because they are shutting down our entire department.

It is not the time of year to get this kind of news, but I to am glad that it has happened. It will give me a lot of time to spend with those I care about most, and provide a brighter outlook for 2002!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks