What's new

Just got Jin-Roh!!! (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I just wanted to gloat, since I just received a month-late birthday present (in this case, it was DEFINETELY better late than never)...which was the 3-discs set of Jin-Roh.
I've been hoping to get/buy this DVD for the longest time, but it's a bit pricey, you know? I was infact just talking to my friend who sent me a copy of a DVD-rip yesterday evening! Ironic...glad I didn't watch it yesterday evening.
Okay, I'm done, thanks all. :)

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
I cheaped out and went the one disc route, but now I regret it. Not only was the music great, but I'd like to see some behind the scenes bits as well.

This film really blew me away! It definitely proves that anime isn't strictly for adults with juvenile tastes. Don't get me wrong, I can deal with the exploitational stuff, but Jin-Roh is a real class act!

Sure it's depressing, but that's the story it's trying to tell. Schindler's List doesn't have any transforming robots in it either.

Good, good stuff!

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Not to drag the love down, but I wonder what people saw in this film. I have only recently gotten into anime and have followed my anime store's recommendations and mostly love them. But when I got this one, I slept through a good hunk of it. It looked beautiful and like many of the anime movies, it used the whole 5.1 spectrum nicely. But man, it was slooooow. I enjoy good adult anime but I would have to be concerned if adult content is translated as meaning slow. Beyond the wonderful production values, what is the draw to this one? It was apparent what the draw was to Cowboy Bebop and Vampire Hunter but this one puzzled me.

Thanks!

Phil

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I loved this film. It's proof that ANIME doesn't need giant robots, extreme gore, space monsters, excessive nudity, or lightning-spiked Kung-Fu to tell a story.
It was original, beautifully animated, equally-well scored, good directing, and top-notch voice acting. It was slowly-paced, but done so deliberatley.It was real, human, and based on drama (something not usually seen in any animation, except for the drama-through-revenge theme).
If more anime was this good, I'd probably own more than three (anime dvds) in my collection.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree more with phil on this one. i've got a decent collection of anime and i'm glad to have this as part of my collection, but this one just didn't "float my boat".

i thought the dub was just so-so. i still need to watch it in japanese and see how i read that session.

i know the story was more about conspiracy and betrayal but it's nothing that hasn't been done many times.

the animation and sound-design was definitely top-notch.

i'll give this a B-

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I thought the ending was quite good; not the usual 'everything works out in the end' ending, but one similar to Se7en. Good artwork, but probably could have been half an hour longer. The extras disk and soundtrack CD were very good. B+.

John.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It seemed to borrow quite a bit from The Third Man in terms of setting and characters. At least to me.
It was a good film, but not great, IMHO.
But I can understand why people would enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks